Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

concatenate text parameters in family (not in schedule)

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
HVAC-Novice
593 Views, 2 Replies

concatenate text parameters in family (not in schedule)

it looks like we can't combine text parameters in a family, but wonder if there is a workaround or other solution ideally not requiring dynamo? 

What I want to do is to have a type in a family and want to automatically change the model number and type mark with the options selected. For example, a fixture has a model number "fixture" and if I add the option (yes/no instance parameter) of a relief-valve, the model number would be "fixture-rel". I could do that with more types, but with many options possible, would end up with very many types. I also don't want to do that in a schedule, since this will differ for each family depending on what a manufacturer offers. It also may not work for schedules since that may mess with how i order items and I also need to manipulate the typemark. I also don't want to use a Dynamo script because I want to instantly see the correct name (and the user may forget to run the script). 

I saw in the ideas forum someone already asked for that and I voted for that. But voting alone won't help me 🙂

Any other workarounds? 

Revit version: R2025.3
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ToanDN
in reply to: HVAC-Novice

ToanDN_0-1637189944310.png

Message 3 of 3
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: ToanDN

thanks. I thought of something similar to that. the problem is, I still would have different family-types and they might consist of different first part of the modelnumber. So that if-statement would have to be different for each type. What you showed would work if I only have one type. 

I tried to write that if-statement into the "Value" column. It first looked like it works, but in the model the text parameter actually just shows the equation and not the result. 

I also wanted to use interim text parameters to easier fill them out for the family. Then use those to "build" the new "text".

An example of a piece of equipment would be a light fixture. I would have a type for each major category (e.g. 2x2, 1x4, 2x4 and each with the LED lumen packages. this could be 10= types and each have a specific ies file. Where I want to add the above smartness is where the fixtures have options. they each have a drywall-kit, surfacemount kit, and other features.  Currently I have to create a separate type. Multiplying that i end up with 30+ types and ideally I woudl spec more features.  So each of the 10 types needs a different type of "first part of the model number"+ "feature model number". The same has to be done to create a new typemark (which would be an instance parameter".  My hope is once I figure out concatenating, I can simplify many of my families (fewer types) and have fewer errors creating new types. I also would be able to add more options that require a new model#.  

Revit version: R2025.3

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report