Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change family parameter using project parameter

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
deepesh_wig
2751 Views, 21 Replies

Change family parameter using project parameter

I have several hundred equipment models which may be (dependant on the Client preference) 'Client supplied'. I have a shared yes/no parameter named 'Client Supply' (applicable to speciality equipment only) which I use to sort the equipment schedule into Contractor supplied equipment and Client supplied items. 

My question here is: Can I somehow use the 'Client Supply' yes/no project parameter to change the family parameter 'Manufacturer' to "Client supply" when yes and leave as filled when no?

Thanks for any advice.

Deepesh

21 REPLIES 21
Message 21 of 22
deepesh_wig
in reply to: barthbradley

@barthbradley. Aaaaand the circle is complete. It is precisely because I don't want to amend 400+ families that I wanted to know if the computer (being a machine and thus not too concerned about repetitive works) could amend the text based on a yes/no condition. 

Message 22 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: deepesh_wig

There is no need to amend 400+ families from my experience.

However the choice of the manufacturer parameter kinda boggles me. I think that is what is making this difficult for everyone to understand. Manufacturer is used to fill out the actual manufacturer of the product, not the supplier. This has juridicial purposes as well.

Say for instance you buy a Samsung television. If for some reason the TV gets broken, you will have to call Samsung for warranty.

If you buy the television from someone else and it gets broken, you still need to call Samsung for warranty.

In your case I would create a project parameter to define who is the supplier. That way you won't have to change any families, but you can easily make a schedule to sort what is delivered by supplier and what not. I think it is possible to use formulas (although it can get exponentially difficult with more options), but you can also use Dynamo to write to this parameter, seeing as you already created yes/no parameters to define what is supplier based and what not.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators