Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant Insert Door Into Wall (Walls Created By Extrusions)

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
andrewLRA6U
1103 Views, 8 Replies

Cant Insert Door Into Wall (Walls Created By Extrusions)

Ok, so I am having an issue with an Architectural model I have created. I am not an architect or Revit Architectural guy (MEP is my bag).

We are working on a project where the architect has produced his drawings in microstaion and due to contractual complexities, we can't have the model exported for use in Revit (So much for collaboration).

We thought the best idea would be to recreate a simple model ourselves for our own purposes.

Its quite an old Art Deco style building with lots of curves and things so creating walls was going to be time-consuming so after a bit of research, we decided to create the walls by modelling in place and extruding.

The issue I am having is getting the "standard" Revit doors into some of the extruded walls.

On some levels they host into the walls on others they don't.

Any ideas

Andrew

Andrew

HP ENVY Laptop 17-ae1xx | Intel i7-8550u @ 1.8GHz | 16GB (2 x 8GB 2400MHz | NVIDIA GForce MX15 | 4GB | Samsung LC34H890WJUXEN - 3440 x 1440 monitor

If you bugger about with it long enough you'll find a solution.....
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
barthbradley
in reply to: andrewLRA6U

Odd. I don't think there is any correlation to Level here.  Something else is going on. Can you post the file to look at?   

Message 3 of 9
andrewLRA6U

File attached, now don't laugh at it I'm only learning the arch side Smiley LOL

Andrew

HP ENVY Laptop 17-ae1xx | Intel i7-8550u @ 1.8GHz | 16GB (2 x 8GB 2400MHz | NVIDIA GForce MX15 | 4GB | Samsung LC34H890WJUXEN - 3440 x 1440 monitor

Message 4 of 9
barthbradley

Nothing to laugh at. It's a work in Progress. 

Can you give me a little guidance. I want to replicate what you are experiencing.  What View should I be in? 

...actually, what door family is misbehaving. The ones I've tried are hosting fine.  

Message 5 of 9
andrewLRA6U
in reply to: barthbradley

So if you open "section 3" (screen grab attached) you can see I have managed to get the double door into levels 1 through 4. (sometimes I had to insert a smaller door and change it to the larger one).

What I can't do is get the door to insert on the same walls on levels 5 and 6. When I get the doors to attach yje door is inserted into the outer wall with the door casing running through to the opposite external wall.

What I was saying about levels is that if I change the sill height and start decreasing it, all of sudden the door disappears. I don't know if this is view range or something, can't see that though.

Andrew

Message 6 of 9
andrewLRA6U

Also just noticed that I have some level 1 doors that are below the ground floor level. When I try and remove the -610 sill height it says it cant cut the instance.

Don't know if something has gone wrong with the model?

Andrew

Message 7 of 9
barthbradley

Yeah, something mighty strange is going on.  I ain't you.  I suspect Revit ain't liking the In-Place Wall. You really want to do your walls this way?  I mean, you are only at the beginning of the Project, and are already experiencing major issues. This may only be the beginning of a lot more issue coming down the road as a result of modeling the walls this way.  Personally, I'd nix the approach.  

...FWIW: Virtually every sketch line used to create the In-Place Wall extrusion is drawn off axis. 

OffAxis.png

Message 8 of 9
andrewLRA6U
in reply to: barthbradley

I was thinking of changing how I had put the model together but I didn't want to end up having to define loads of different wall thicknesses.

Andrew

Message 9 of 9
joe_keogh

Hi @andrewLRA6U 

How many Wall thicknesses are you talking about?  Could you set a tolerance of say 50mm+/- 

When I engage Surveyors to provide Point Cloud Scans and a Revit Model I specify 50mm +/- Tolerance for wall thicknesses for just this reason.  For Architectural purposes this should be accurate enough in most cases, and where it needs additional detail, say at junctions between Existing and New Construction, the detail can be finer..

Joe Keogh
Director | Design Technology + Innovation
www.viewlistic.com.au

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report