Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't edit a generic model nested family

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
sorour4cad
234 Views, 3 Replies

Can't edit a generic model nested family

I have a generic model family that I want to edit it. it is made for the facade finish.

However, I can't reach the family name in model families, also no icon shows edit family when I select it. 

sorour4cad_2-1710930978674.png

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
handjonathan
in reply to: sorour4cad

Hi @sorour4cad 

Thanks a lot for posting your question to the forums!   The family you are trying to edit looks like a system family. 

System families are predefined in Revit and saved in templates and projects, not loaded into templates and projects from external files. You cannot create, copy, modify, or delete system families, but you can duplicate (copy) and modify the types within system families to create your own custom system family types. You can delete all but one system family type in a system family, because you need at least one type per family to create new system family types.

Although you cannot load system families into templates and projects, you can copy and paste or transfer system family types between projects and templates. You can copy and paste any number of individual types, or use a tool to transfer all types in the system families that you specify.

I hope this helps. 

We look forward to hearing back from you with more information so we can help you as a community! 

Jonathan Hand

Industry Community Manager | AEC (Architecture & Building)

Message 3 of 4
Simon_Weel
in reply to: sorour4cad

Looks pretty weird - is this an IFC Import?

Message 4 of 4
ToanDN
in reply to: handjonathan

It is a direct shape element and uneditable in Revit unless you can create parts from it and edit parts. This one looks too complex to be created parts from though.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report