Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't create roof footprint (Mystery)

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
VitorBIM
1505 Views, 15 Replies

Can't create roof footprint (Mystery)

Hi guys,

Is there anybody there to have a look at this file and try to figure out why it's not possible to create a Roof on this specific wall? It's a simple roof, I tried everything and I still can't find out why the error. 😢

Here is what I am trying to do: Create a roof using "Pick Walls", all edges with slope (See attachment) (Although other tools such as Lines and Pick Lines won't work as well). 

Rules:

1. The dimensions should remain. 

2. Deleting and recreating the wall is not an option since it's part of an existing project with lots of windows, doors and etc. I just copied only that wall part into another file to try to solve that mystery.

Check the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1clGvhNTXdU

Good luck

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
georgehobel
in reply to: VitorBIM

seemed to work fine for me... dont know what your issue is.  The model had to be upgraded, and maybe something was lost, but I saw not a single window...

George Hobel
Reflections of Charlotte
Residential Building and Design
Message 3 of 16
martijn_pater

Those short walls can't have the roof angle your trying to create the roof with, if you set these to not define roof angle or steep enough to creat the roof there is no issue.

roof angle not definedroof angle not defined

optionally define angles using slope arrowsoptionally define angles using slope arrows

Message 4 of 16
VitorBIM
in reply to: georgehobel

can you send me a print? I am trying in version 2019 and 2020, and it doesnt work. 

PS: Yes, this file is has only walls. I mean that my original file has doors and windows, that's why I cant just delete and do it again.

Message 5 of 16
VitorBIM
in reply to: martijn_pater

But I can create the same Roof shape, if I do not use the walls as reference. I just CANT create if I use the walls as reference somehow. It can be Pick Walls, Pick Lines or even just tracing off, it wont work.

1.png2.png

Message 6 of 16
georgehobel

you will have to make the roof in two separate pieces... one for the main roof, and one for the bump out.. then you can trim them up so it only looks like one roof. 

you got this!

George Hobel
Reflections of Charlotte
Message 7 of 16
VitorBIM
in reply to: georgehobel

That's not an option for our project. We can create the roof with that exact shape. We just can't create it using the walls. I want to understand what is causing that error.

Check the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1clGvhNTXdU

Message 8 of 16
VitorBIM

I just posted a video link showing the error.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1clGvhNTXdU

Message 9 of 16
MostafaElashmawy

It works for me when I use pick lines then pick edge by edge.

Picking walls selects the inner edge of the wall which result in a smaller pump so it don't work.

same for picking all lines at same time, because it select the center of the wall.

The only thing that is not clear is why it rejects when we draw it by lines without picking.

Mostafa Elashmawy
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 16
VitorBIM
in reply to: MostafaElashmawy

Huuumm.. it's odd that it worked by pickin lines.. I will try it in another computer to check if its something related to my system..

But yes, it still odd to know that it doesnt work if we just trace off

Message 11 of 16
VitorBIM
in reply to: MostafaElashmawy

Its stranger yet because if you draw another wall with the same dimensions as that, you are able to create that roof  using whatever tool you want to use. It doesn't work only on this specific wall that I did.

So it must be something related to that wall, and not to the roof itself..

Message 12 of 16
martijn_pater

It does not work when you tab-select the inside of the wall with pick walls, but it does when you tab-select the outside... (3d view)

Message 13 of 16
barthbradley

I can replicate all day long and twice on Sundays. It is odd, @VitorBIM.  Not a show-stopper, but it is interesting that Revit chokes.   Some bad code, I suspect.  

Thanks for sharing.   

Message 14 of 16
barthbradley
in reply to: barthbradley

...just a follow-up here. Did anybody discover this? Seems to be related to order-of-operation.  Revit has no problem if the South-facing "pop-out" wall is picked first.     

Message 15 of 16
VitorBIM

OMG, interesting! I haven't realized that. Thanks for sharing.

I also noticed that if you "Disallow Join" of one of the corners of that pop-out part, you are able to create the roof.

Message 16 of 16
georgehobel

that's another one of those "Super Mario" features.... How many coins do you have to have to unlock it?

George Hobel
Reflections of Charlotte

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report