Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Afford New

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
1549 Views, 13 Replies

Can't Afford New

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can tell me where I can find an older version of Revit to purchase as the newest one is un-affordable to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
DarrenP
in reply to: Anonymous

that would be illegal

Autodesk does not sell "older" versions of their software

if you do find one it will probably be a pirated copy

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 3 of 14
chrisplyler
in reply to: DarrenP

If somebody has an older, standalone perpetual license with physical media installation, they can sell that, right? Or does even that licensing agreement forbid such things?

Message 4 of 14
shawn.p.phillips

How long do you need it for?  They do have a monthly subscription which is like $100.  If you just need it for a single project you might try that option.  If you are a student or educator you can get it free for 3 years.

Message 5 of 14
DarrenP
in reply to: chrisplyler

@chrisplyler wrote:

If somebody has an older, standalone perpetual license with physical media installation, they can sell that, right?

nope this would be a violation of Autodesks license agreement

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 6 of 14
KyleB_Autodesk

Have you taken a look at Revit LT?

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 14
DarrenP

@chrisplyler wrote:

If somebody has an older, standalone perpetual license with physical media installation, they can sell that, right?

you would have to go through this process

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/installation-activation-licensing/manage-licensing/tr...

DarrenP

Message 8 of 14
chrisplyler

So if you do go through the process and get approval then it isn't a violation, right?

Message 9 of 14

The conditions that allow the sale of existing Autodesk software are very restrictive. It boils down to getting permission from Autodesk and if the sale is part of the absorption of one business by another. In other words if you are buying a company and Autodesk licenses are one of its assets then you can ask Autodesk for permission to transfer ownership to the new business owner. Unless that's your circumstance it is pretty certain you won't get permission to buy the software from them. Without that you're "coloring outside the lines" of the end user license agreement (EULA).

If you can't afford full Revit then consider Revit LT as Kyle suggested. They recently made renting the software possible, paying monthly, quarterly or yearly. You'll pay more per year over the long haul but you can avoid the initial hefty purchase $$ this way. Seek out the local Autodesk reseller to discuss your options. If you're just starting out your business financing may be an option too.

Saying you can't afford a tool that will be critical to doing billable work is akin to saying you want to be a limousine driver but you can't afford a car. There are things you must invest in to do work, to run a business. There are many practically free CAD tools available these days. If you've decided that it must be Revit then you've set the bar for yourself higher; your limousine can't be a Chevrolet it must be a Mercedes. Perhaps you can do some billable work in the meantime, build your business, with less expensive tools until you can afford the tool (car) you prefer?

Steve Stafford
EESignature

Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

Yes, I'm not a company or anything. I want it to learn the software to add a skill to me resume as well use what I learn to design my houses renovations.

Best Regards
Message 11 of 14
KyleB_Autodesk

Chris,

If you involved at all in education, you can get free product access on our student community.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: KyleB_Autodesk

Thanks Chris, unfortunately I'm not a student or teacher. Just AutoCAD user

Best Regards
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

hey I think the point is that she can not afford it. If she was a student or teacher it wouldn't be a problem. I have the same issue. I am no longer in school but need to work on it to get a job but can not afford it. I am not able to finish a project in 30 days with the free trial. 

Message 14 of 14
bill_gilliss

The price of an annual Revit LT subscription is $450 and the price of a monthly Revit LT subscription is $55. For someone learning Revit, the differences between the full package and LT are negligible.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report