Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can cut profile be used to remove part of face that is already disjoined through cut geometry?

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
jblanchetteRT93G
1170 Views, 23 Replies

Can cut profile be used to remove part of face that is already disjoined through cut geometry?

Title is confusing. Really all I want to know is if it is possible to use the cut profile command the part circled in red.

cut profile issue.jpg

I know there are other workaround for this, just wondering if this is possible and I'm just not drawing the cut profile lines correctly. Thanks

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24

Disallow join and drag end:

vitorbortoncello_0-1718738840160.png

Message 3 of 24

I can't tell what elements those are. System Families?  Post the file here. 

The Cut Profile tool can reshape walls, floors, roofs, stairs that are cut in a view. The changes made to elements using the Cut Profile tool are view-specific for 2D views only .

Message 4 of 24

cut profile issue2.jpg
Thanks for the responses. Let's try this example instead. Is it possible to use the cut profile to eliminate the bottom half of this wall in this view?

Message 5 of 24

Yes, if you use voids...

vitorbortoncello_0-1718740356050.pngvitorbortoncello_1-1718740376948.png

Message 6 of 24

I have no issues applying a cut profile. Not sure what kind of cut profile you are after, but maybe you are missing the two Options you have available:  Face or Boundary between faces.  

Message 7 of 24

I have those two options, just not sure how to apply them to eliminate piece of something that has already been split in two parts by other geometry.

Could you do me a favor and screenshot how you drew the cut profile to eliminate all of the wall below the floor? 

Thank you very much

Message 8 of 24

Like I said, I don't know what cut profile you want, but here's an example:  

Cut Profile 1.png

Cut Profile 2.png

Note: wall color change to red for clarity.

Message 9 of 24

The part of the wall that is circled

cut profile issue2.jpg

Message 10 of 24

@jblanchetteRT93G wrote:

The part of the wall that is circled

cut profile issue2.jpg

I don't know what I'm supposed to take away from this post.  Are you wanting the Cut Profile to HIDE the entirety of wall below the floor? If so, that doesn't make any sense to me.  Maybe better to describe the actual construction/condition for me. 

Message 11 of 24

Thanks for the response. All I want to know is if it is possible to do this with the "Cut Profile" command because there are times when doing sections/details that it would be the most convenient to do it like this. 

Obviously eliminating an entire masonry wall below a floor is not a real world example.  I'm using that as an example because my question is really about the mechanics the command in question (Cut Profile), and whether or not it is possible to use this command to completely eliminate one part of an element that has been split in two pieces by another piece of geometry. 

I don't know what else to say other than what I have said multiple times in this thread haha. 

Message 12 of 24

Create Parts and Exclude Parts.

Exclude Parts1.png

Exclude Parts2.png

Message 13 of 24

Masking Region:

Masking Region618-1.png

Masking Region618-2.png

Message 14 of 24

No Wall:

No Wall1.png

No Wall2.png

Message 15 of 24

Crop View:

Crop Wall.png

😉  

Message 16 of 24

I'll take that as a "no" on the question of using Cut Profile, but I do like the solution of using "exclude" on the piece after "create parts".

Thank you

Message 17 of 24

Lol 😂

Message 18 of 24
ToanDN
in reply to: jblanchetteRT93G

Yes.

Message 19 of 24
jblanchetteRT93G
in reply to: ToanDN

Ok. Could you share a screenshot of how you draw the cut profile to do so?

Message 20 of 24

Not to beat a dead horse, but here is an example I ran into just now where I, in this section view, REALLY wanted to use Cut Profile to hide the exterior finishes of this roof truss that lie below the adjoining roof:
cut profile issue3.jpg

cut profile issue4.jpg

I can't break the roof assembly into parts so I'm going to have to use a masking region. Using masking regions can be kind of a pain to make them look clean, so this is why I asked my original question 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report