Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug? - mutual position of walls is messed after copy

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
einsteinM5V9G
285 Views, 4 Replies

Bug? - mutual position of walls is messed after copy

In the attached image you can see two enclosures that are a small part of a bigger project.

The lower one is correct. I can move walls and doors with no problems, but when I select them all and copy anywhere in any possible way, their mutual position gets messed (randomized?) and the result is like the upper enclosure.

If you look closely, you'll see the walls got split in sort of two groups - with correct mutual positions inside each group, but the two groups are offset to each other. Two outer walls are in one group, and the rest is in the other.

The issue only occurs with these very walls in Revit 2016.

Copying to a new model doesn't help.

Does anyone know how to fix that and does the issue even occur in newer versions of Revit? I can't check myself.

-2023-oct-6-012.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

I am not sure what has happened here but i can repeat the error.  I tried all methods of Copying/Grouping /Assemblies/Etc. and nothing worked i can only put it down to very small misalignments.

The only solution was to select each Wall > Edit In-Place > You get a warning about inaccuracies > Green Tick to Finish (without doing a thing)

One this is done to all the walls it can be copied without issue.

jay_colcombe_0-1696599794271.png

Jay Colcombe

Autodesk Certified Instructor
Revit Architecture & Structure Certified Professional
AutoCAD Certified Professional
B.Sc. Hons Civil & Structural Engineering

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 3 of 5
syman2000
in reply to: einsteinM5V9G

Have you try to recreate the in-place family? When I recreate in-place family that cause the issue, it seems to stay in place. I assume it could be older Revit file having issue when you upgrade.

syman2000_0-1696604121287.png

As well, there is no warning sign reporting for the older in-place family. When I recreate the in-place family, it shows the warning sign. I would recreate the family or this will cause corruption in the future.

syman2000_1-1696604239114.png

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 4 of 5
ToanDN
in reply to: einsteinM5V9G

Model in place then multiplied using copies of group?  I would not do that.  The error you have is one thing but not the main reason. The main reason is that you are going to have multiple in place models and when you need to revise, you have to do it one by one, or delete all copies and recopy again.

Model using basic walls, you can stack multiple walls to create a thicker wall then join them, for odds and ends, use an architectural column family with instance parameters (stretchable) to form them.  Then you can create a model group and copy it.

Message 5 of 5

Jay_colcombe, as you said, "refreshing" all walls by Edit In-Place fixed the problem, although it's a little time-consuming. Luckily, I only had a few degenerate walls, but I don't know what I would do if the same issue occured with like a hundred walls. I guess I'd have to make a script for that.

Syman2000, the issue is not related to model upgrade. The walls behave just the same in Revit 2016 and when I open the model in Revit 2023.

ToanDN, the walls are not actually grouped, speaking in Revit terms. I just commonly used the term "group" to describe two sets of walls, regardless of Revit hierarchy. Also, I can't use basic walls because I am working on a point cloud and have to respect every tiniest deviation of wall's thickness.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators