Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

beams above

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
12315 Views, 11 Replies

beams above

Hi All

Is there a way to show beams above other than using Linework and/or adding an invisible line that cross the cut plane to the beams family?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
chrisplyler
in reply to: Anonymous

Three ways I can think of off the top of my head, with pros/cons for each:

#1. Of course you can raise the Top and the Cut planes of your view range up to include the overhead beams. But then you may get other things in the view that you don't want or loose the cut through windows and doors that you do want.

#2. You can use a Plan Region to change the view range only within a certain area, in an attempt to show beams - such as for a mezzanine or similar - that doesn't go out all the way to your walls, thereby keeping your windows and doors cut properly. But this isn't going to work for ceiling beams that go all the way to the walls for obvious reasons.

#3. You can just set the view's Underlay to be the Level Above that your beams are on. But they'll be halftoned unless you turn off that Underlay setting in the Manage > Settings > Additional Settings > Halftone / Underlay settings dialog box. Doing so will effect all Underlay usage in your project.

Message 3 of 12
BEE_Design

Hi Marie.Joe,

In Revit 2017 the Underlay properties have changed. You can now view upwards or downwards, view the floor or the rcp (including Beams).

Now word of warning, I'm still getting to grips with this new tool and it doesn't seem to be showing my beams from linked revit file but will show the beams modeled within that file. Enjoy my screenshot and doodle.

Good luck.

Best,

SY

Chasing BIM Architect ideal in HK with GeForce GTX 660 Ti, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16.00 GB RAM, Mircrosoft Windows 10 Home.
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: chrisplyler

What I had in mind is more like the beams showing as projection line on the floor layout...not an underlay

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: BEE_Design

I don't have 2017 😕 we are still using 2016 and I have to stick to what the uni provides because I need to work with the rest of the class

Message 6 of 12
doni49
in reply to: BEE_Design

@BEE_Design wrote:

Hi Marie.Joe,

In Revit 2017 the Underlay properties have changed. You can now view upwards or downwards, view the floor or the rcp (including Beams).

Now word of warning, I'm still getting to grips with this new tool and it doesn't seem to be showing my beams from linked revit file but will show the beams modeled within that file. Enjoy my screenshot and doodle.

Good luck.

Best,

SY

That sounds like your Visibility Graphics Override for your Link is set to "Custom" as opposed to "By Host View". 

1. Type in VV.
  2. Goto the Revit Links Tab.
  3. Select the link in question.
  4. Is "Display Settings" set to "Custom" or "By Host View"?

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 7 of 12
doni49

@Anonymous wrote:

What I had in mind is more like the beams showing as projection line on the floor layout...not an underlay

Sounds similar to showing overhead cabinets on your floor plan.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: doni49

Doni49 YES! that is exactly what I want to see on screen and print 🙂 HOW to do that? or is it doable? So far I ve been using linework on the underlay but that is crazy to do on every floor plan and everytime there is a change

cannot model beams as casework family

Message 9 of 12
ToanDN

Method 1: if you actually need to see the beam projection in plan view

1. Temporarily turn on underlay so that beams are visible on plan
  2. Use Linework tool to change the beams graphic to dashed or any different linetype
  3. Turn off underlay and the overridden linework remains

Pros:

• Overridden linework is associated with model

Cons:

• Repeat steps for new added beams
  • View dependent
  • Detail level dependent (that's why I override the beam category in visibility settings so that it sticks)

Method 2: if you don't need to see view beam projection on plan view, but rather view them on sheet

• Create another view only show beams and place it on top of the plan view on sheet

Still, I don't favor the both of them.  I would rather using the native underlay and live with a little gray scale graphic.

Method 1's screencast:

Message 10 of 12

Your suggestion actually worked for 'Linked beams' to show up in the plan. but they are not part of Underlay and and I can't change any  of the linetypes to overlay. When I try to do that a pop up says 'set link display to 'view by host''.

Do you have a workaround for that?

Thanks

Message 11 of 12
PijPiwo

I’ve simply added a hidden line in the beam family on a newly created RP with height offset parameter. In the project, I have this RP set below the cut plane, so even though the beam is up high, I can still ‘see’ it as a hidden line.

Probably not the best solution for you @Anonymous, but maybe someone else will find it useful. Underlay and linework tool absolutely drove me nuts!

Message 12 of 12
semi
in reply to: PijPiwo

This hidden line trick messes up the elevation at bottom and is thereby not correct

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report