Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batch Plotting PDFs without having to manually save each sheet

29 REPLIES 29
SOLVED
Message 1 of 30
jim3thornton
30695 Views, 29 Replies

Batch Plotting PDFs without having to manually save each sheet

I am needing to plotting individual sheets so each pdf file contains the sheet number and sheet name for its title.

I have encountered to issues in this process...

1) I would like to be able to have only the sheet number and sheet name to be the pdf file name.

- currently I had to include a  <Extention/Prefix>  <Sheet Number - Sheet Name>

example :  ALF - Sheet - A2-23 - 1ST FLOOR PLAN - QUADRANT C

I would prefer to have only the Sheet Number and Sheet Name be name of the PDF, with no other work on my part.

example : A2-23 - 1ST FLOOR PLAN - QUADRANT C

2) The second issue is that with every pdf, I am prompted to name it ... <press enter>

- Is there a setting that that instructs the program to save the pdf with its default name?  That way I can let the program print while I away from my desk.

29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
ToanDN
in reply to: jim3thornton

If you are willing to pay a little, try Xrev Transmit from the App store.

If you don;t want to pay then hit back I can show you my workflow.  It involves some extra work but not too terrible.

Message 3 of 30
a_meteni

Here's a free solution:
1. if the Extension/ Prefix are similar in all files , You can use a batch renaming tool to rename your PDF files.
2. You can use any free tool to automatically click OK when you're prompted for the file name.
Message 4 of 30
jim3thornton
in reply to: a_meteni

So currently Revit cannot do this process internally?

It sounds both suggestions require additional work / application on my part.

Message 5 of 30
a_meteni

Which PDF print driver you're using? In all cases, you'll need a PDF print driver to plot to PDF from Revit. @ToanDN solution offered you the tool to get what you need internally from Refit but with additional purchase. My solution will require additional two free tools outside Revit in addition to any free PDF print driver.
Message 6 of 30
ToanDN

@jim3thornton

The sole reason I showed you the app solution is that you stated that you wouldn't want to do any extra work.

I myself don't use any paid apps.  I set the PDF printer to automatic dump all individual PDF files in a fixed folder then use a free file renaming app to batch remove the prefix.  It takes like 10 second to rename hundreds of PDFs.

Message 7 of 30

Hi @jim3thornton

We have developed Docuflow that among other features also batch publishes the sheets to PDF format. You can use the unlimited trial for 7 days. Docuflow can be downloaded from the Autodesk Revit App Store (link below).

https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=6842090281765127625&appLang=en&os=Win64

Feel free to leave us your feedback.

Luis Santos

archi systems as

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 30
jim3thornton
in reply to: ToanDN

If I can get the individual pdfs to automatically name themselves without I have to manually hit enter that would be a major step 

Message 9 of 30
jim3thornton
in reply to: a_meteni

i am using adobe acrobat

Message 10 of 30
ToanDN

@jim3thornton wrote:

If I can get the individual pdfs to automatically name themselves without I have to manually hit enter that would be a major step 

You can set it by edit the Adobe PDF printer properties.  Pick a folder (better NOT a project specific folder and easy to access so that you can go there and cut and paste the PDFs to the correct destination folder).

Capture.PNG

And below is a screencast showing one of the ways to batch rename files using a free app.  I demonstrated how to keep only the Sheet number per another poster's request.  If it was only to remove the prefix then it would even be simpler by Replace a string of text with nothing.

Message 11 of 30
Archigrafix_Norge
in reply to: ToanDN

@ToanDN @jim3thornton

Docuflow can save all the sheets, with sheet number as filename, in 1 job. No prompts, no need to rename, and handles automatically landscape and portrait sheets in the same job, custom paper sizes without the need to create them manually in the printer. Docuflow is according to our test the fastest PDF creator for Revit and includes a PDF driver. 

Luis Santos

archi systems as

Message 12 of 30
Anonymous
in reply to: Archigrafix_Norge

I think it's extremely poor form to push your paid software solutions on these forums, especially since you don't even sell your products through Autodesk's App Store, but use third party sales.

Multiple paid add-ins offer the same functionality as yours, and a lot of those are much cheaper than the absurdly expensive $100 yours cost.

Message 13 of 30
Viveka_CD
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @jim3thornton

Another alternative to automate this batch printing process can be achieved through Dynamo.

See HERE and the link HERE for related information

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.

Message 14 of 30
Archigrafix_Norge

Hi @Anonymous

We spent several months developing, improving and testing Docuflow to simplify the process of creating PDF, DWG, IFC and drawing list in a single operation. We did Docuflow because we needed this tool (we cannot find a similar app with the exact same features), and wanted to work faster and stress free. Autodesk has QA Docuflow, and we are happy to make it available for an fully feature trial for 7 days.

Due to several legal reasons we unfortunately cannot sell it on Autodesk App store. But the same happens with many great apps to Revit that are available on the app store as free and trial apps.

We offer volume discount so the prices start much lower than you refer, and never reach 100 USD. It starts at 15 USD for yearly subscriptions (large volume) and 45 USD for large volume perpetual licenses.

If you have any questions or need help using Docuflow, or any other of our apps, we are here to help.

Luis Santos

archi systems as

Message 15 of 30
Anonymous
in reply to: Archigrafix_Norge

My issue is not with your pricing OR your product.

My issue is that you're trying to push your paid software through free advertising on these forums. If someone else mentions it as a solution, fine, but creating a profile with that particular purpose just seems like incredibly poor form.

Message 16 of 30
jim3thornton

I don't mind the sales attempts for new products ... truth is I will mostly likely be purchasing anything ...

but as I saw autocad develop over the years ... 3rd party solutions would slowly be integrated into the program as more users were requesting those tools ...

But from all of the post I have been introduced to multiple options to achieve the same function ...

Hopefully the Revit Programmers can added a more efficient Batch Plotting Method in the future.

Message 17 of 30
sbrowne

I have to agree with Jim.  It seems that this should be built into Revit.  I have a drawing set of 700 sheets and yes, I can use a Dynamo script or a simple bulk rename utility to take out the word "Sheet", but why not have it built in?  Even the few minutes it takes to rename the PDF's for every revision does take time.

As you said, we can hope for a future release . . . 

Message 18 of 30
Anonymous
in reply to: sbrowne

If you have the Bluebeam plugin for Revit, use the Create PDF button (under Add-Ins). This will allow you to do exactly what you are asking for.

Message 19 of 30
shujath36

The video in the below link describes how we can batch print with their file names. I am looking to build one of such kind. It would be great if any one help me out in this as I am a beginner in .NET but I am hopeful about it and I think this not a big deal to develop one. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FXw_VM_wX0

Message 20 of 30
Anonymous

Would recommend XrevTransmit

We use it in the UK as we have BS 1192 Numbering systems for ALL our documents.

XrevTransmit Picks up 'Your' Parameters within the Drawing Sheets including Drawing Titles (Sheet Name), if you should need that too.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report