Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attributing hyperlink to the texts in Revit

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
mahan_motamedi
526 Views, 6 Replies

Attributing hyperlink to the texts in Revit

Screenshot 2024-02-28 134721.png

Hello Everyone, I'm currently working on a project that requires the creation of localization plans for various elements, such as doors. My goal is to compile a book for each element, with the first page presenting the floor plan and naming each element (Such as the attached image). I aim to embed hyperlinks into each name (Revit text) so that, upon exporting the plan to PDF, users can click on the name of each element, which will then direct them to the corresponding page dedicated to that specific element. Essentially, I'm looking to replicate the functionality of elevation and section mark bodies, but applied to text.

Thank you very much in advance for your guidance. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Mahan

6 REPLIES 6
Message 3 of 7

Thank you for your response. Your message marks a significant step towards aligning with my objectives. Nevertheless, I require a method to embed clickable hyperlinks in the views when they are exported to PDF format.

Here the steps that I took. I also share my RVT file here. 

First, I created a custom tag family for doors. Second, I created a Shared Parameter of the URL type. Third, I used this Shared Parameter in the Door Tag Family as a label. Fourth, I imported the custom Door Tag Family into a project. Fifth, I tagged all the doors using the newly created Door Tag Family. Sixth, I entered a URL (a link to a PDF file on my PC) for one of the doors to test if it could create a hyperlink. Seventh, I published the project to PDF. Finally, I opened the PDF with Adobe Reader, but when I hovered the mouse over the created label, nothing appeared, such as a hyperlink.Despite following what I thought were the correct steps to ensure a clickable link within the PDF, the hyperlink does not seem to be active or recognized as such when viewed in Adobe Reader.

Message 4 of 7

Yeah, I think it only works with URLs that are on the internet. I dont think it will work with a link to a document in a local location.

curtisridenour_0-1709237465290.png

Message 5 of 7

The Idea is here and is currently Gathering support (for the last 7 years)

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/revit-text-to-allow-hyperlinks-for-single-click-to-web-or...

Message 6 of 7

Screenshot 2024-03-01 084950.pngOk, I experimented with an internet link and was able to click on the link from within the PDF file.

However, I believe there must be a method to create a hyperlink to another sheet in the PDF, as elements like the section head, callout head, and elevation mark pointer can do this. Therefore, I investigated the elevation mark pointer family to understand how the elevation mark body generates a hyperlink to another sheet in the same document. I discovered that there is a 'Sheet Number' project parameter within this family, utilized as a label. However, in the tag family template, such a parameter does not exist. Do you think it's possible to replicate this functionality for the tag families?

Message 7 of 7

I do not think it is possible. I have a feeling that the last 7 years without any headway on the Idea is indicative of the fact it is not possible. But Autodesk does make changes to the API. Things with Dynamo that were previously inaccessible now are accessible. I would not hold out hope for it though.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report