Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining Plan and 3D Views of Details

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
PhilvK
272 Views, 4 Replies

Combining Plan and 3D Views of Details

I've set up my wall types for a project in a legend style arrangement as shown below in the 1st image, except I am using true walls as opposed to legend components so that I can tag them.

I'd like to include a 3D view using parts as shown in the 2nd image. That requires some extra duplicating of the walls and moving them around so that they appear correctly, i.e., don't show adjacent wall types in the 3D views.

Is there a simpler way?

Table View.jpg

3D View.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

A few options, not great:

1. create a scope box for each and apply that to the 3d view and the individual plan views.
  2. (painful) Create a filter for each wall type and then add them to a view and toggle all the ones you want off per view. Either with a name? equals or does not equal rule.
  3. Similar to # 2, you can create selection sets to assign one per wall and hide them in a similar fashion. As painful but because these would be selection sets/filters, it would sort separately than the other rule based filters

4. Per view, you just just select all the ones you do not want to see and do a hide element in view. main downside is if you add new walls you may need to get into some views and hide them.

If you moved your walls so that they had enough room around them, this could be a non issue, and on your overall legend plan, instead of being 1 large view that shows all the walls, maybe you have individual views, one per wall. That way you can reduce the spacing between them on the sheet. One of the downsides I could see is forgetting to update it when you add new walls. 

Or maybe instead of aligning all the walls, you stagger them, so its like bricks with an offset at alternating rows, and then instead of placing one view at a time, you could place either by row, and in then in the sheet, shift the offset so they look aligned like your first image. 

I like the idea of using 3d views, I wonder how easy it is to copy into another project, that is something worth considering if you plan on using it a lot. Maybe all these 3d views and set up are built into your template. I was going to say I am not sure I see the values in the added effort to add 3ds but if you only have a plan view for the wall type, then I can see how the 3d can help explain some things that may not be clear in the  plan view. 

Message 3 of 5

Thank you very much for your feedback and confirming it's a fair amount of work no matter which approach i used. I hadn't thought about using scope boxes and will take a look at that approach. Thanks again.

Message 4 of 5
BIMologist_
in reply to: PhilvK

Hi

To create a view with a single wall shown in 3D, you can use a view filter. Create filters for each type and assign each corresponding to the view. 
Other approach would be to have
A view template for 3D views with Design Options tab NOT included in the view template so it can be overridden for each view. 

Design Option Set with two options, one blank (primary) and the other containing the wall.

So in plan view you can set the view to show each wall type and not the Automatic blank primary view. 
In 3D you would only turn on the option corresponding to the wall type you need.
Having that many design options can cause slowness
https://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2024/ENU/?guid=GUID-7A4A6C06-C140-4EC4-900B-BEF1C7095328

Here is a nice guide on using Design Options
https://www.modelical.com/en/gdocs/design-options/

Some automation can be achieved using Dynamo. 

BIMologist / Dr. Revit
Approved Autodesk Services Marketplace provider - BIM Consulting

EESignature

If you find this reply helpful, please use the Accept Solution or Like button below
Message 5 of 5
PhilvK
in reply to: BIMologist_

Thank you for the idea. I will need to look into design options as I haven't used them before.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report