Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arrays - How to lock spacing? (family attached)

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
user201_centralbim
377 Views, 7 Replies

Arrays - How to lock spacing? (family attached)

Hello. I want to increase the length of the family and change the number of red marks accordingly by preserving the spacing between them. However, the family is locking the number of red marks instead and increasing the spacing between them when the length is increased. What am I missing? Family is in revit 2023.

1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG

Family needs to look like this.

4.PNG

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

You need to add a Label/Parameter to the Array Line in the Options Bar that is driven by the Length and a Spacing Parameter

You could set it to something like;

Formula examples:

• Optimal Spacing = a default "Length" value for the office standard
  • Array Count = (Length/Optimal Spacing) + 1

jay_colcombe_0-1695722823195.png

Here is a great site i used a while back but have saved in my Favorites

Revit Beginners: Family Array Basics & Tips

Jay Colcombe

Autodesk Certified Instructor
Revit Architecture & Structure Certified Professional
AutoCAD Certified Professional
B.Sc. Hons Civil & Structural Engineering

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 3 of 8

Hello, you need to re-organize this. For example, like this:

1) Instead of making the array of a group, use a nested family. Copy to the group to the clipboard, and paste it into a generic model face-based, new family, ungroup it, and place it in a way that relates to a vertical reference plane, like this:

2023-09-26_6-06-01.png

2) Then load the new family into the first family and place it on the strip, anywhere. 

3) Create a reference plane some distance to the right of the first vertical reference plane, and create a parameter for Offset. Do the same at the end of the strip, like this:

2023-09-26_6-09-58.png

4) Align and lock the nested arrow to the first offset on the left.

5) In the Family Types window, create new parameters, like this:

2023-09-26_6-12-38.png

6) Select the first arrow, and do Array > Rectangular > Number: 2  > select "Last" from the options bar. Click on the first Offset reference plane, then click on the last Offset reference plane. That will create an array of 2. Now align and lock the last arrow to the Offset reference plane on the right. Now select the array, the line with the number 2, and go to the drop down for parameters and select "# of items. 

Now the array is controlled. If you change the Length parameter, the arrows will repeat properly. If necessary, you can change the Offset parameter and/or the Spacing parameter.

2023-09-26_6-02-53.png

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 4 of 8

Thanks for replying, I really appreciate it.

Can you share the family file? It would be easier to understand the process. 

Message 5 of 8

Thank you for the link.
Message 6 of 8

Sorry, I usually don't save the files that I use for the forums. Please follow instructions above to do it yourself, and you will learn more than if I give you a file.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 7 of 8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5MyzijIuco&t=488s

I solved the issue by following this step-by-step video. The process was much easier to understand.

Message 8 of 8
ToanDN
in reply to: user201_centralbim

You can use a railing for it. Works for straight lines or curves.

ToanDN_0-1695744844113.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report