Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

array cut

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
896 Views, 10 Replies

array cut

when I go to do a radial array, the part that i cut to the reference plane shows up.  When I do the array there are breaks in the beams I made.  I want the beams to be joined at that angle with no breaks.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
L.Maas
in reply to: Anonymous

I am not sure if I understand you completely. But when I do an array the beams behave as I would expect.

Array.png

As your orignal beams are cut by reference planes you have to take them in the array. Otherwise your beams in the arry will not be cut because there are no reference planes available for the cut.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

Well I'm doing this just for my own practice. I work for my dad in construction and he does all his drawings on paper.  But I don't know how the person reading the drawings for approval would accept the way that they're broken like that or understand what I was trying to get at.  I want the beams to be from center to center of the posts.  The only way I knew how to do that was to use a reference plane from center to center on that angle.  I had to extend the beam longer so I was able to cut each end back to the RP protruding from center of the circle.  When I try to array the beam(s), the beams show their original length, are arrayed that way,  and end up broken and don't portray my original plan.  I see the same in your drawing.  It still arrays the beams, but they don't always show a clean cut to the RP.  I guess the only way to join them the way I want is to do them individually around the circle.  I guess if the approver has any questions he can just ask or i can make a note.  It doesn't give a nice appearance in a drawing if there's no other way to do it.  Thanks for the help.  Always appreciate it.

Message 4 of 11
L.Maas

See what you mneant. Did not notice this earlier. Can be done

Pool.png

You have to extend your (second) beam a little bit further before arraying

Beam.png

Revit can sometimes be a little bit difficult with arraying

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 5 of 11
RDAOU

I did not get the chance to open ur file yet...however; I think that is happening because you used structural steel Posts using Structural Columns.

Beams are families with no explicit family origin defined; hence, when they are place onto structural posts/columns their family center gets automatically defined to the center of the bounding box of the post/column ie: they receive that automatic cutback breaking them up

If that is the case; then your issue is not with the array but with understanding the type of structural elements you are using and how to manipulate the structural framing with respect to those elements....There are several ways to avoid those cut backs...One of which is to use Architectural Columns/posts (easiest)

Edit: just noticed Louis reply... his proposal to extend the beam implies stretching it beyond the bounding box of the post...ie: no cut back will be enforced on the beams ...Hence; I am now certain that the bounding box cut back was what is causing your issue

Louis! you're teaching him already how to cheat in Revit !!! lol joking

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 6 of 11
RDAOU

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: RDAOU

i tried extending further with one beam, made sure I changed the posts to wood timber posts(i was using revit lt and I didn't have the right families loaded) then i tried extending the second beam further and still the same thing.  I don't know how you did it Louis.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

okay give me a sec.  let me study this

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

Okay.. thank you so much for that presentation.  I have been working on this all day and I'm tired and tomorrow is my day off, so I may feel like looking at it but I probably won't do anything.  Monday after work might be the best time for me to work on it.  By the way, I started learning by the Lynda.com tutorials and they were very helpful.  They are better than books because they show you exactly what to do.  But I haven't subscribed to them on this deck because I thought I could handle it myself.  I was wrong.  I hope you guys don't mind me asking these questions.  Even with the tutorials you still have some as you learn.  I am going back to college for Building Construction Management to learn how to run my Dad's business, and some of the courses required are drawing courses.  Hopefully then I can get a student license to have Revit all the time.  Good night!  

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

I can't see the cutback parameters on my properties palette even when I select the beam.  The cutback parameters show up when I first create the beam but disappear when I click anywhere.  And at the beginning there's no way to set the global parameters I made earlier to the cutback parameters when I first create the beam.  The little tab doesn't appear on the right side.  I was trying to accomplish it with the extension parameters, but i had no luck.  I understood everything you were doing, it's just I had no way to get the the cutback parameters.

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

I can't see the cutback parameters on my properties palette even when I select the beam.  The cutback parameters show up when I first create the beam but disappear when I click anywhere.  And at the beginning there's no way to set the global parameters I made earlier to the cutback parameters when I first create the beam.  The little tab doesn't appear on the right side.  I was trying to accomplish it with the extension parameters, but i had no luck.  I understood everything you were doing, it's just I had no way to get the the cutback parameters.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators