Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone tried Revit through Parallels with new M3 Max MBP ?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
drkwse
4910 Views, 11 Replies

Anyone tried Revit through Parallels with new M3 Max MBP ?

Has anyone already tried Revit through parallels desktop on a new M3 max MacbookPro ?
What's the experience like and what's the MBP configuration you're running it on? ?
I'm going for a 16inch M3 Max. Either
- 14 CPU/ 30GPU with 96GB ram or
- 16CPU / 40GPU with 64GB ram
knowing that parallels will only use max of 1/2 system ram (48 or 32GB) i'm not sure which system will give better performance (bearing in mind that tht 16CPU has faster memory bandwith 400GB/s vs 300GB/s).
Ultimately the 14CPU with 96GB of ram is a mere 90€ more expensive than the 16CPU with 64GB of ram.
Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
jay_colcombe
in reply to: drkwse

I had a discussion with a colleague last week who was using an M2 Macbook and running Revit on Parallels with no problems as his HP Zbook had gone down again.  I use a Macbook Pro with Intel and using Windows through Bootcamp so was interested on his setup as Revit 2024 works fine on my setup as i don't want to pay extra for Parallels.

The performance for rendering and MEP calculations was extremely fast and questioned him on the M3 and he suggested it should works as per the M2 as he has friends in Architectural Practices running M3's with no problems.

I know its not much to go on but thought it worth a comment.

Jay Colcombe

Autodesk Certified Instructor
Revit Architecture & Structure Certified Professional
AutoCAD Certified Professional
B.Sc. Hons Civil & Structural Engineering

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 3 of 12
syman2000

This article was updated not too long ago. Check it out

https://machow2.com/revit-for-mac/

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 4 of 12
drkwse
in reply to: jay_colcombe

Hello Jay,

Thanks, it’s very much to go on 😊 and very good you commented.
But I must say that in bootcamp partition on my 2019 MBP (Intel i9-2.3GHz with Radeon Pro 5500M(only 4GB)) things are getting difficult.
First of I made that partition too small at only 220 GB, so I have to keep deleting temporary files lingering about.
I’m still on 2022 with projects and that works ok for 200MB projects, but with the larger models I’m having to work with it’s getting tiresome waiting for everything to happen (and a 3GB+ project I can’t even open at all).

If I could get the ‘normal’ size models working nicely on the new MBP, I would be happy to settle on my tower PC for the big ones.
Btw I find benefit in Parallels (providing it’s workable) because the partition grows with your VM and no partitioning needs to be done + everything except Revit stuff I like to do on the Mac.

Thanks again for taking the trouble in answering,
Message 5 of 12
drkwse
in reply to: syman2000

Thanks for the link Syman2000.

Great read and a site I didn't know about. 

Message 6 of 12
drkwse

After reading machow2 article on revit-for-mac, I ordered M3 Max 14 core with 96GB ram rather than the 16core with 64GB ram (128GB ram does'nt fit in the budget). Will see how it goes...

Thanks to Jay_colcombe and Syman2000 for your input ! 

Message 7 of 12
alex_grinband

Using M3 pro with parallels, Revit 24 runs fine but can't get Twinmotion to run, materials are all black. does anyone have a solution?... Screenshot 2024-04-01 141751.pngThanks!

Message 8 of 12
DarrenP
in reply to: alex_grinband

This is something you need to post here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/categories?tag=twinmotion

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 9 of 12
s.borello

Very curious what the benefit would be running RVT this way versus a native PC?  What led you down this path?

Message 10 of 12
alex_grinband
in reply to: DarrenP

@Anonymous doesn't respond at all... I posted on all the existing platforms and forums... Zero response from them! I was hoping that anyone from this chat had an answer...Thanks! 

Message 11 of 12
bim2T7BT
in reply to: s.borello

I’m a Mac user since 2001. Used 100% pc’s all the way through my career at work and vowed to never buy a pc for personal use because, well I know both sides very well and to me maintaining a pc in tip-top shape is a job on its own. If that’s your thing, be me guest, me … thank you. 
So as self employed using Revit for maintenance of client models, for a few BIG models I had to buy a powerful pc. It’s literally been a bag of … 

On my Mac I want to do most smaller models. 

Message 12 of 12
Chris-VC_Studio

Well since everyone's talking about glorious Macs, let me throw in my two cents. I love my Mac. In the past, I used parallels on an Intel Mac, and let's say it's been less than stellar at times. I just ordered a new M3 Mac, so I'll see how this one runs at 128 gigs of RAM. But as I have always said, I love my Macs, but Autodesk products, at the end of the day, brings home the bacon. So this is what I do: I use my Mac for my day-to-day stuff, email, coding, internet searches, etc., and I have a PC that I remote into from my MacPro (using window's desktop connector for Mac) for all my Autodesk programs and Bluebeam. I feel this gives me the best of both worlds; I can seamlessly switch between the two operating systems using the same screens, keyboard, and mouse. Additionally, I set it up so I can access files from each of the computers no matter what operating system I'm using. In short, it is simply bliss. The best of both worlds, it is a Mac without all the Windows maintenance to keep your PC running right.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report