Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall Opening Component Family

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
366 Views, 1 Reply

Wall Opening Component Family

I am looking for best and seamless solution to turn door and window family to non-room boundary opening so the room family takes into account sills and small setback area around those elements and includes it in total room area.

I don't want to use wall openings, non-wall based families or manually place room separation lines to overcome this issue. I have found out that if the room separation line is placed on a top of the wall revit will correct room boundary so it coveres this small area but I am currently working on some large residential projects so we are talking about thousands of doors and windows to be manually modified one by one.

It looks like the ideal solution would be to embed the room separation line within the window or door family so its distance from the internal face of the wall can controlled i.e. by using parameter. I guess it is not possible to do it traditional way but would this be possible to acheive for example by using some clever API?

Room area.jpg

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
jeremytammik
in reply to: Anonymous

Dear Lukasz,

Thank you for your query.

As far as I can tell, this is more of an end user issue about how to set up the door and window families and their instances porperly.

Have you explored how to solve this from an end user point of view?

Please look at this discussion to see some examples of what is possible and how to tweak the behaviour:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?22049-Window-setback-not-working

From that discussion, it seems to me the the familes can be set up to achieve what you need.

If it is a question of setting parameters on the family instances, that is an easy task to programmatically solve globally across the entire project.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
The Building Coder

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report