Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Track use of plugin

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
RECArchi
614 Views, 3 Replies

Track use of plugin

I developed a plugin for my company, and now I want to track the use of this plugin within my team : Who clicked on a specific PushButton of the plugin and launched an IExternalCommand ? When did this happen ? What project was concerned ? 

I thought of writing this information on a .txt file stored in our server. Is it a good practice ? If not, what do you advise me to do ?

Thank you in advance.

Labels (1)
  • BIM
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jeremy_tammik
in reply to: RECArchi

Yes, something like that sounds OK to me. I would spend a moment researching the Internet for existing libraries that do what you need. I am sure that there are lots of them out there, so you don't have to waste time reinventing the wheel.

Jeremy Tammik Developer Advocacy and Support + The Building Coder + Autodesk Developer Network + ADN Open
Message 3 of 4
MattKincaid

We do this using the .NET web request API to write usage information to an SQL database on our server.  Database tools have some advantages over just writing to a plain text file (easier to search, filter, maintain the data, etc.).  But a text file would probably work fine too, depending on how much data you need to log/keep track of.

Message 4 of 4
RECArchi

I do not want to track much  information : user, date and Revit project concerned, and write it on each line of the text file.

My goal is to evaluate how much my plugin is used. I don't think an SQL database is needed.

Sincerely.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Rail Community