Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Track use of plugin

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
RECArchi
630 Views, 3 Replies

Track use of plugin

I developed a plugin for my company, and now I want to track the use of this plugin within my team : Who clicked on a specific PushButton of the plugin and launched an IExternalCommand ? When did this happen ? What project was concerned ? 

I thought of writing this information on a .txt file stored in our server. Is it a good practice ? If not, what do you advise me to do ?

Thank you in advance.

Labels (1)
  • BIM
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jeremy_tammik
in reply to: RECArchi

Yes, something like that sounds OK to me. I would spend a moment researching the Internet for existing libraries that do what you need. I am sure that there are lots of them out there, so you don't have to waste time reinventing the wheel.

Jeremy Tammik Developer Advocacy and Support + The Building Coder + Autodesk Developer Network + ADN Open
Message 3 of 4
MattKincaid

We do this using the .NET web request API to write usage information to an SQL database on our server.  Database tools have some advantages over just writing to a plain text file (easier to search, filter, maintain the data, etc.).  But a text file would probably work fine too, depending on how much data you need to log/keep track of.

Message 4 of 4
RECArchi

I do not want to track much  information : user, date and Revit project concerned, and write it on each line of the text file.

My goal is to evaluate how much my plugin is used. I don't think an SQL database is needed.

Sincerely.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report