Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to BIND link model programmatically?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
2098 Views, 8 Replies

Possible to BIND link model programmatically?

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find out a solution that converts a parent revit model with a lot of child link models to ONE complete ifc file.

As a result of my research, it suggests that there's no way to do so.

So I take a step back -- programmatically bind all the child models into the parent , then convert it to ifc.

However, I can't find any relative method in revit 2017 api, nor any useful articles giving sample code.

So, my question is, is it possible to bind link model programmatically? and how?

Thank you.

Eli

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jeremytammik
in reply to: Anonymous

Dear Eli,

The Revit API hardly ever supports any functionality that is not also available in the user interface.

In general, if a feature is not available in the Revit product manually through the user interface, then the Revit API will not provide it either.

You should therefore research the optimal workflow and best practices to address your task at hand manually through the user interface first.

To do so, please discuss and analyse it with an application engineer, product usage expert, or product support.

Once you have got that part sorted out, it is time to step into the programming environment.

I hope this clarifies.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
The Building Coder

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: jeremytammik

Dear Jeremy,

Thank you for answering my question.

Regarding of my question "Bind link model programmatically", the reason I head to this direction is the link model can be bound to the parent model via built-in revit function.

However, it's only available when a link model is selected. 

img.PNG

There were some people asking the same question in the past as far as I know, however no one ever answered this question correctly.

So I come here to look for help 🙂

Thanks you,

Eli

Message 4 of 9
jeremytammik

You can launch many built-in Revit commands using PostCommand:

http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/about-the-author.html#5.3

You can perform simple selection operations simulating user input via the Automation API:

http://teocomi.com/export-revit-warnings-list-from-api

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Dear Jeremy,

That's a good way to go, thanks! 

Eli

Message 6 of 9

mmm it seems that even within the PostableCommand Enumeration there is nothing for the "Bind" option for linked revit models 😞

Message 7 of 9
dor_r
in reply to: dante.van.wettum

Any progress on that?

have you tried to do it manually by grouping the link to the model

(https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-api-forum/creating-groups-from-revit-api/td-p/5451985)

Message 8 of 9
jeremytammik

I just discussed this topic in another newer thread on 'attaching a Revit link':

In the course of that discussion, I discovered three other unresolved discussion threads requesting the same functionality:

The development team confirmed that this functionality is currently not available and ask all interested developers to create an entry for it in the Revit Idea Station and vote for that:

This is currently not possible through the API. This seems like a good thing for Revit Ideas, especially if so many people are asking for it. Please submit an idea for this to the Revit Idea Station, if there is none there already, and vote for the existing one, if there is. Thank you!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Message 9 of 9
callumf

Here is a link to a 'Revit Idea' requesting this feature (with no votes!):

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/binding-linked-revit-model-with-api/idi-p/8590114

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Rail Community