Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Code signing of Revit Addins

69 REPLIES 69
SOLVED
Message 1 of 70
harrymattison
30329 Views, 69 Replies

Considering the new requirement in 2017 for Revit Addin signing, does anyone have recommendations

1. Which vendor to use to buy the certificate (presumably someone listed at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/documents/2592.windows-root-certificate-program-me...
  2. What is the "right" certificate to buy?

For example, how about the "CODE SIGNING CERTIFICATE" for $170/yr (if you buy 3 years)?

Validates and secures your code
Eliminates security warnings during download and installation
Protects with your choice of SHA-1 or SHA-2 encryption

https://www.godaddy.com/web-security/code-signing-certificate

69 REPLIES 69
Message 2 of 70

Dear Harry,

Thank you for your query.

I believe you are not officially allowed to use the '2017' word yet.

Will the requirement be for a generic code signing certificate or a trusted certificate?

The former can simply be created using makecert.exe:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bfsktky3%28VS.71%29.aspx

For more info, I initially searched the Internet for ".net code signing certificate".

That gave me too many results to want to study them in full.

I then added the word "free" to my search and found more useful answers, e.g. on StackOverflow:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1177552/code-signing-certificate-for-open-source-projects

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1482476/code-signing-certificate

They provide a lot of interesting background info without going into too much detail and also point out quite a few certifying authorities.

A few of them provide free certification for open source projects.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know what else you find out about this and which way you decide to go with it.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
The Building Coder

Message 3 of 70

Hi Jeremy,

>> Will the requirement be for a generic code signing certificate or a trusted certificate?

I don't know the answer to this question. Could you answer it for us?

Thanks
Harry
Message 4 of 70

Dear Harry,

I tried. First of all, here is the current pre-release documentation on this topic:

To improve the security of Revit and its addins, and help users to clearly understand the origin of 3rd party code running within the context of Revit to avoid malicious tampering, a new code signing mechanism has been introduced. All API developers should:

• Get their addins signed with the certificate mechanism provided by Microsoft before the addins are released.
  • Get the certificates installed to the Trusted Publishers store of Windows.

If this is not done, one or more message dialogs will be shown during Revit startup:

• If an addin has been signed correctly, but the certificate is not installed in Trust Publisher, a dialog with detailed information of the certificate will be shown.
  • If the signature of an addin is invalid, a dialog with an error message will be shown to let end users know this. 
  • If an addin is unsigned, a dialog with the addin's information will be shown. 

In each case, the end user can choose whether they want to always trust the addin, load it once, or skip loading. 

Please refer to https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/ms537361(v=vs.85).aspx for detailed introduction about the code signing from Microsoft. 

I cannot yet tell from that.

There seems to be quite a lot you can do yourself without help from any commercial or external authorithy, e.g., by manually installing the Authenticode certificates into the Trusted Publishers certificate store on a computer by using the CertMgr tool:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff553504(v=vs.85).aspx

The clearest answer will be provided by trying it out, I guess.

Cheers, 

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Message 5 of 70
ken
Advocate
in reply to: jeremytammik

Hi Harry,

I've been signing dlls with a cert from Global Sign and have had good luck with them.  They are helpful in getting set up and the cost isn't too bad.

https://www.globalsign.com/en/code-signing-certificate/

There are several others, that's just one I wound up with (probably was the lowest cost at the time)

The only other piece of the puzzle is using the sign tool from microsoft (which used to be in the Microsoft SDK but now I think is included with VS).  (signtool.exe)

If you use an obfuscator, you might also find that the obfuscator will sign your assemblies with your cert as well (crypto obfuscator does).

The setup process for the certificate will take a few days but once you have it the rest is pretty straightforward.

Hope that helps.

-Ken

Message 6 of 70
harrymattison
in reply to: ken

Thanks Ken. What exactly is Global Sign giving you for $219 per year? Seems like a lot of money for what exactly?

Message 7 of 70
ken
Advocate
in reply to: harrymattison

It's actually very little. Just the certificate (a file probably with a public/private key), they vet you/your business to make sure you are a legal entity of some kind, and then they provide the timestamp server for use in signing files.

I didn't investigate it too much further or look to see if there were free alternatives, it seemed to be a good thing to not have that "untrusted software" warning pop up on install. It also helped to get Symantec to review some of my downloadable files to help cut down on the severe sounding warnings when users tried to download something from my site.

All in all it really doesn't do "much" for a developer other than lend a little extra security credibility I guess. To be perfectly honest, I mistakenly thought it was a requirement to publish on the Exchange but once I had it I figured I might as well use it.
Message 8 of 70
ken
Advocate

That said, this "trust manager" thing is a new twist... need to figure that out.
Message 9 of 70
lars.radman

Hi all!

We are using a code signing certificate from DigiCert. The first time Revit loads a DLL signed with this cert it displays the "Security - Signed Add-in" dialog. Checking the certificate from the "View Certificate" link in the dialog and the certificate chain all the way back to the root certificate shows no errors.

But still the dialog pops up.

If I accept and load the file, the dialog will not show any more. I can reload the same DLL and also load other DLLs signed with the same certificate without interruption.

The certificate is used to sign other DLLs and EXEs as well as our installation packages (MSIs) and we no other issues with it.

Is the first-time display of the "Security - Signed Add-in" dialog really the intended behavior, or am I  missing something here?

Best regards,

Lars

Message 10 of 70
jeremytammik
in reply to: lars.radman

Dear Lars,

Thank you for asking.

I am not completely sure myself yet.

The full documentation is provided by the developer's guide in the Revit API help file:

Online Revit 2017 Help

http://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2017/ENU

... > Developers > Revit API Developers Guide > Introduction > Add-In Integration > Digitally Signing Your Revit Add-in

http://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2017/ENU/?guid=GUID-6D11F443-AC95-4B5B-A896-DD745BA0A46D

Here is some further feedback on handling the signing procedure from another developer that might come in useful and help answer your question:

A. Thank you for the pointer to the updated help. It is useful. That said, I do not find the statement "Once the DLL is signed with an authorised certification, Revit will no longer pop up a security warning dialog upon loading your add-in" to be accurate. Revit still pops a security dialogue after the DLL has been signed but the contents of that dialogue changes. The dialogue informs you that a signed add-in has been found and asks you whether you want to "Always Load" or "Do Not Load". If you select "Always Load" then, of course you are no longer bothered but, until you do, you still get this dialogue even if the add-in is signed.

B. After additional study on multiple workstations I found that I get the security prompt even if I sign the DLL until:

1) I respond "always allowed" to the security prompt (even the one that says that the DLL has been signed) OR

2) You import the certificate into the Windows Certificate Store (Trusted Publishers > Certificates) as described by the Revit 2017 Help article “Make Your Own Certificate for Testing and Internal Use”

Thanks again for pointing to the new help references on this topic.

C. Need to make a correction to my last statement. Further testing and study established that the import of the cert prior to initial launch of the add-in does not suppress the dialogue. The following Help article suggests that this behaviour is by design:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2017/ENU/?guid=GUID-900A3EBF-A809-4A0E-96ED-5EEC965A2728

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Message 11 of 70
lars.radman

Hi Jeremy,

thanks for the fast reply. I can confirm the other developer's A and C findings. There seems to be no way to load a signed DLL without getting this initial warning.

Br,

Lars

Message 12 of 70
jeremytammik

Dear Lars,

Thank you for your confirmation and sorry to hear that.

I'll check with the development team whether this is indeed the intended behaviour.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Message 13 of 70
jeremytammik

The development team respond:

I’m surprised that pre-loading a certificate does not avoid this message. I thought it did? 

If your app’s certificate is already in the windows certificate manager, it won’t show up. 

Your installer should add the certificate (.cer) to the trusted publishers using the certutil tool:

http://adndevblog.typepad.com/autocad/2015/04/how-to-avoid-trust-this-publisher-dialog.html

The blog is for AutoCAD but should work fine for Revit, except that Revit intentionally does not support the Trusted Location option.

You can use a custom installer action to add the certificate to the trusted publishers.

I hope this helps.

Cheers, 

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Message 14 of 70
lars.radman

You're right, if the cert is registered properly, the Security dialog does not show up. I somehow thougth it would be enough to just sign the DLLs with a valid code signing certificate.

Using the C++ code in the example on the page you linked,  I've added a custom action that does the trick at install time, in our MSIs.

Thanks!

Lars 

Message 15 of 70
peterjegan

I looked at a programming solution for adding my publisher certificate to the Trusted Publishers store, as suggested in the ADN Dev Blog article, but I came up with a simple command line process, like this:

certutil.exe -addstore TrustedPublisher "EganBIMResources.cer"
(For you publishers out there, the actual command is: certutil.exe -addstore TrustedPublisher "%_SB_INSTALLDIR%\Resources\EganBIMResources.cer")

It needs elevated permissions to run properly (my installer does), and you need to know where the certificate (.cer) file will be when you need it. (My installer copies the .cer file to the app "Resources" folder and then adds the certificate from there.)

I have been testing it, and it seems to work fine. Does anybody have information to the contrary?
Message 16 of 70
neil.smithline
in reply to: peterjegan

That looks right to me Peter

Neil Smithline

Revit Software Security Architect
Message 17 of 70

Another developer asked whether there is any short-cut work-around to avoid the initial prompt to the user for an in-house add-in.

As I suspected, and the development team now confirmed, there is not.

The only way to completely avoid the prompt is to both sign the add-in and push the certification to the domain machines.

Here is the entire Q & A in a little bit more detail, and with some helpful links:

Question: "When Revit 2017 opens with my in-house developed add-in, it prompts the user for an action: always load, load once or do not load. Since the app is in-house developed, I wonder: is it always necessary to have an certificate also for in-house trusted area?"

Answer: The answer is yes, the warning will always be issued. Our security architect adds:

The add-ins must be signed with an approved cert or they will give the popup on first load.

We've documented the process of creating a self-signed cert that can be used for your own internal use:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2017/ENU/?guid=GUID-B9A067F4-234F-47F8-A5EE-0D84A93FA98E

You can push the cert to machines in your domain using group policy:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd807084(v=ws.11).aspx

If you both sign the add-in and push the cert to domain machines, users can use the add-in without the popup.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Message 18 of 70
ken
Advocate

Neil,

Can you help me understand how we've improved security? 

I create an addin, I sign it with my cert, then I install my cert during install of the addin.  I'm in control the whole way (other than the user had to run the installer with elevated permissions...)

I'm not sure I understand how this increases actual security, as opposed to effecting some perception of increased security. 

But we *are* willing to learn.

Message 19 of 70
neil.smithline

Revit add-in code signing is intended to reduce the risk of you running malicious code within a Revit add-in. Before discussing it in specific, let's take a step back and look at the current state of technology.

In general, preventing malicious code, commonly called malware, from running on your computer is difficult. The quantity and ingenuity of malware attacks continues to climb. Malware is being used to target everything from hospitals to lightbulbs. It has been used to damage Iranian nuclear facilities, and recently has been thought to be used as a tool to influence the US presidential elections. The best security Revit, or any application, can provide is to not make the situation worse. So we need to look at what techniques Windows provides for keeping your computer secure.

Some of the most important mechanisms that Windows uses to combat malware are:

• User Account Control - This generates the "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?" popup you frequently get when installing applications.
  • Mark of the Web - This generates a dialog when you try to run applications downloaded by your browser.
  • Authenticode - Microsoft's trademarked term for code signing of executables.

Due to the way that Revit add-ins are downloaded and installed, they bypass User Account Control, Mark of the Web, and Authenticode. That is, Revit add-ins open a hole in Windows' malware security. So Revit must add security to fix this security flaw. Creating and fixing such a weakness is common for apps with add-ins. For example Chrome requires extensions to be signed, and Firefox, which comes from a company that tries to epitomize openness, just added mandatory add-on signing on August 2nd, 2016.

To fix this security hole, we've added code signing. Code signing in Revit, like Microsoft's Authenticode, is intended to give the user a timely security question and to provide you with the information you need to make an informed decision. This is very similar to what Windows' User Account Control and Authenticode systems provide.

As a user, when you are given an add-in signature dialog, you know that the add-in you are loading was written by the owner of the certificate, and that it hasn't been modified since it was signed. It is then up to you to determine if you trust that person or not.

While I would love to have a solution that automatically detected add-in safety and just did the right thing, this is the best that we, as an industry, know how to do. Is it perfect: no. But is it more secure than without signing: I think so.

Neil Smithline

Revit Software Security Architect
Message 20 of 70

Dear Neil,

Thank you ever so much for this very clear, succinct and motivating in-depth explanation!

I like it very much and reprinted it in The Building Coder for readability, searchability and future-proofing:

http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2016/09/trusted-signature-motivation-and-fishing.html#2

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community