Previous Version Support
Welcome to Autodesk’s Previous Version Support Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore Previous Version Support topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AUTOCAD 2005 on Windows 10

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
8615 Views, 8 Replies

AUTOCAD 2005 on Windows 10

Had been running AUTOCAD 2005 on windows 10. Had to replace hard drive and reload windows and now it does not work. Says "missing from computer" acde16.dll ac1st16.dll AcGe16.dll acdb16.dll Searched and found these .dll files on the hard drive. where are they supposed to be located? what directory??? any help is greatly appreciated
Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Patchy
in reply to: Anonymous

Try SUPPORT folder in Autocad

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

About seven years ago or so, I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, that is just after Windows 10 came online.  At the time, I was using AutoCAD 2005, as I still am.  What happened is that I could open AutoCAD 2005 but many of its commands would not work properly with Windows 2010.  Fortunately, I discovered this issue within 30 days, so Microsoft was able to revert me back to Windows 7.  At that time, at least, there was it seems a 30-day backup for Windows 7.  So I have stayed with Windows 7 since.  Can anyone advise that this glitch has been fixed since, that is, that I might now be able to use AutoCAD 2005 with Windows 10 or even a more recent version of Windows?  I just do not want to go through all the hassle at my later age of relearning AutoCAD as they made a lot of changes between 2005 and the next version, and AutoCAD 2005 still works just fine for me.  It is just that I would like to upgrade my Windows if I can for other programs, especially as I want to buy a new computer.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Back some 7 or 8 years ago, I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, while having AutoCAD 2005.  I could open AutoCAD 2005 but many of it commands would not work properly so Microsoft was able to restore my Windows 7 as at that time apparently there was a 30-day back up for same.  I would really like to buy a new computer.  Can anyone advise if this glitch has been resolved, so that I might continue to use AutoCAD 2005 on the newest version of Windows?

Message 5 of 9
DarrenP

that came out 14 years ago they will not make 2005 compatible with Windows 10

why not try the latest version which is 2019 for 30 days and see if it works for you only you can determine whether this will work or not to your liking

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 6 of 9
jggerth

You might want to consider Draftsight -free-to-use as an alternative -- it's light, simple and works fine with Win10.

or look into one of the other DWG compatible packages, Intellicad, Ares, Commander, BricsCAD, etc.

Message 7 of 9
gotphish001

Unfortunately it is not a glitch. 2005 doesn't have support for windows 10. I know you said you've been using it for a long time on windows 10, but eventually a windows update breaks it from working for everyone. It's been different updates for different people. It must have something to do with other programs on the computer at the time of updates and how the update changes the registry according to those other programs. Consider yourself lucky that you kept it working this long. Sometimes you can roll back an update to windows and get it working again but since it seems like it's a fresh windows install that option won't work for you.  Rolling back an update doesn't always fix it either. Autodesk will never go back and make a product that old work with windows 10 so you might not have another option besides using an older version of windows or a newer autocad version. Some people have gotten it to work with various tweaks. I suggest googling something like "older autocad on windows 10" or things like that. There are many articles about it. It's just going to be trial and error trying suggestions from those articles. You might get it to work. Might being the key word sadly. Depending on your work, maybe you could get away with a newer version of autocad LT to save money.

Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey

Message 8 of 9
jggerth

Another option might be to get the new computer with Win10, keep your existing PC, and use a KVM switch to toggle between old for Acad 2005, and the new box for everythign else.

If you're really adventurous, you might try running Win w/Acad 2005 in a virtual machine on the Win10 Pc

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

I used Longbow software to load 2005 (and all other earlier versions of Autocad including the LT versions) on my W10 computers and it is great, no problems. Tech support will gladly help you if you need it. I have suggested it to several other firms and it has worked for them as well. Here is a link:

https://www.longbowsoftware.com/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report