Community
PowerMill Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s PowerMill Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular PowerMill topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open ToolpathSettingForm Is Toooooo Slow!!!

82 REPLIES 82
SOLVED
Message 1 of 83
jjat-wang
6887 Views, 82 Replies

Open ToolpathSettingForm Is Toooooo Slow!!!

I use Powermill Since version 2016

Each update will make the opening of the  setting Form slower

I am using version 2020 Now

It takes 4 to 5 seconds to open a different strategy each time

It makes me very anxious while waiting

I think most of the others in the forum also find it very slow

If it is to open the same strategy, he is very fast

This shows that the parameter reading is very fast, the problem lies in refactoring the UI

I had to make a plugin myself to change this situation

But to support all strategies, his workload is huge

And I’m a Cs beginner, so I only improve half the efficiency

So I look forward to the official priority to solve this problem

I submitted support very early in 2017

But did not get the correct solution,Which support was automatically closed afterwards

And my Pc is  Dell  Precision 7820 tower

InterR Xeon Gold 6128 cpu @3.40GHz

NVDIA Quadro P4000

PowerMill install in SSD

Attach a comparison video

82 REPLIES 82
Message 61 of 83
TK.421
in reply to: Sean570

yep, i saw that. already working on it!

--------------------------------------
the numbers never lie
Message 62 of 83
j.lacrasse
in reply to: jjat-wang

Hi everyone,

For an average of 100+ toolpaths program, it takes 3 to 7 sec to open a toolpath form for me

J.Lacrasse
Message 63 of 83
TK.421
in reply to: iamcdn79

@iamcdn79 done!

I have a method in my plugin for loading new toolpaths that clocks those and records the time to a log file, and then I took the macro @cfastNJWK6 posted and worked it into another macro that I use for the RMB>Settings (edited the explorer.ppm so it's the same button) on an existing toolpath per @Sean570 's advice. these should record every time i have to raise a toolpath form.  In a week or two, I'll post my results on here.

@Autodesk- if I was really ambitious, I would do it for a lot more- boundaries, patterns, feature sets, rapid moves... all of those take longer than they should to open... Please start taking this as seriously as all the users who've replied on this thread.

the numbers never lie
Message 64 of 83
cheidenfelder

I'm glad to see you guys not giving up on this issue. Hopefully Autodesk is taking some notes. Speed is what a programmer needs, we quote jobs per hour in the real world. 

Message 65 of 83
Benjamin.Br

Hello everyone. I want to give you an update on the progress we have made on this issue. I am pleased to tell you that we have identified a fix that is looking very promising. In our test cases, which take PowerMill up to 13 seconds to open the form on the PCs we are using, the fix reduces that time to a maximum of 1.5 seconds and typically less than a second.

We still need to be cautious. This is a critical area of PowerMill so we have to test thoroughly to ensure the fix doesn't introduce any unwanted side effects. Our internal testing has been positive so far but we need to widen that before we can be sure it is suitable for release to customers. So I am hopeful but don't want this to be seen as a promise yet.

To avoid any disappointment or confusion, I want to highlight now that the fix will not be included in the next PowerMill 2022 update, which we currently expect to make available very soon. I appreciate that this issue has been a long-standing cause of significant frustration for all of you but ask for a bit more patience.

Benjamin Brereton
Director, Engineering
Message 66 of 83
BearArms

Just glad to hear you are even working on it. It did need addressed. 

Message 67 of 83
TK.421
in reply to: Benjamin.Br

@Benjamin.Br wrote:

Hello everyone. I want to give you an update on the progress we have made on this issue. I am pleased to tell you that we have identified a fix that is looking very promising. In our test cases, which take PowerMill up to 13 seconds to open the form on the PCs we are using, the fix reduces that time to a maximum of 1.5 seconds and typically less than a second.

We still need to be cautious. This is a critical area of PowerMill so we have to test thoroughly to ensure the fix doesn't introduce any unwanted side effects. Our internal testing has been positive so far but we need to widen that before we can be sure it is suitable for release to customers. So I am hopeful but don't want this to be seen as a promise yet.

To avoid any disappointment or confusion, I want to highlight now that the fix will not be included in the next PowerMill 2022 update, which we currently expect to make available very soon. I appreciate that this issue has been a long-standing cause of significant frustration for all of you but ask for a bit more patience.

@Benjamin.Br I dont think any of us expected this to be fixed in the next release, but the fact that you're taking this seriously, working on this and providing progress updates is appreciated among us users. I look forward to the future update when your work is realized.

thanks!

David

<><

the numbers never lie
Message 68 of 83
cfastNJWK6

Great job everyone! The PowerMILL community did a great job raising this issue and not letting it fall of deaf ears.  Great job to Autodesk as well.  I know spending hours re-coding a critical area of PowerMILL  to save a few seconds here and there was probably a tough sell to the higher-ups at Autodesk.  Thank you for taking this issue seriously.

Message 69 of 83
iamcdn79

@Benjamin.Br Are you testing having lots of Powermill projects open as well not just one? I have noticed the more projects I have opened the slower it gets.

Intel Core i9 13900KF CPU
128 GB Kingston Beast DDR4 SDRAM
PNY RTX A2000 6GB Video Card
WD 1 TB SSD Hard Drive
Windows 11 Pro

Message 70 of 83
Benjamin.Br
in reply to: iamcdn79

The focus of our testing has been with single projects open of different sizes and is what my previous comments were based on. But we have also tested with multiple projects open. We are seeing similar significant reductions in time with several projects open of different sizes, with most of our test cases coming down to 1 second or less. When pushed, with multiple large projects open, we have seen an example where it still takes 4 seconds to open the form on the PCs we are using, but that's down from 17 seconds before the fix, so still a significant improvement.

Benjamin Brereton
Director, Engineering
Message 71 of 83
johnc4668

This is awesome guys, glad to see autodesk working on this issue! I agree with this, takes way to long to get to what you need in the settings form. And we do this 100 or maybe a thousand times a day sometimes. My two cents, create another icon by the toolpath icon for settings only to LEFT click to enter the settings form. Imagine left clicking into the settings form in under 1 second...... 😎

Message 72 of 83
jjat-wang

This will be very exciting news

Message 73 of 83
Benjamin.Br

Hello everyone. I'm pleased to inform you that the work we have done to speed up the loading of the strategy forms is included in the PowerMill 2021.1 PowerMill 2022.1 update that is available for download from today. See this post for more information on the PowerMill 2021.1 PowerMill 2022.1 update: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/powermill-forum/autodesk-powermill-2022-1-update-is-now-available-for....

Benjamin Brereton
Director, Engineering
Message 74 of 83
BearArms

"included in the PowerMill 2021.1 update that is available for download from today. See this post for more information on the PowerMill 2021.1 update:"

Is this for 2021.1? Typo? Since we are on:  Version: 2021.1.1.2021109

Message 75 of 83
Benjamin.Br
in reply to: BearArms

Thank you for pointing it out. Yes, it's a typo and the change is included in the PowerMill 2022.1 update that is available today. I have corrected my previous post to try to avoid confusing anyone else.

Benjamin Brereton
Director, Engineering
Message 76 of 83
minh.lenhat

this update gave us the evidence to continue trusting the solution that they are still working on our demand

Le Nhat Minh
Senior Manufacturing Consultant
OneCAD Viet Nam Co., Ltd
Process Manufacturing
Message 77 of 83
johnc4668

Anyone else notice powermill taking longer to initially open in 2022.1? Toolpath settings form is faster to open though 👏

Message 78 of 83
TK.421
in reply to: johnc4668

2022.0.3 & 2022.1 both take 25-30 seconds to load for me. 

the numbers never lie
Message 79 of 83
johnc4668
in reply to: TK.421

Yep, mines about 20 seconds. previous version was twice as fast. ill take the new form settings speed over the initial powermill session speed though i guess 🙂
Message 80 of 83
TK.421
in reply to: johnc4668

agreed. faster form loading is awesome. just need to take care of the rapid moves form now! there are a lot of bells & whistles in 2022.1 that i think we'll all find are incredibly useful and well thought out additions to the software.

the numbers never lie

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report