Community
PowerMill Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s PowerMill Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular PowerMill topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open ToolpathSettingForm Is Toooooo Slow!!!

82 REPLIES 82
SOLVED
Message 1 of 83
jjat-wang
6888 Views, 82 Replies

Open ToolpathSettingForm Is Toooooo Slow!!!

I use Powermill Since version 2016

Each update will make the opening of the  setting Form slower

I am using version 2020 Now

It takes 4 to 5 seconds to open a different strategy each time

It makes me very anxious while waiting

I think most of the others in the forum also find it very slow

If it is to open the same strategy, he is very fast

This shows that the parameter reading is very fast, the problem lies in refactoring the UI

I had to make a plugin myself to change this situation

But to support all strategies, his workload is huge

And I’m a Cs beginner, so I only improve half the efficiency

So I look forward to the official priority to solve this problem

I submitted support very early in 2017

But did not get the correct solution,Which support was automatically closed afterwards

And my Pc is  Dell  Precision 7820 tower

InterR Xeon Gold 6128 cpu @3.40GHz

NVDIA Quadro P4000

PowerMill install in SSD

Attach a comparison video

82 REPLIES 82
Message 41 of 83
TK.421
in reply to: jjat-wang

Hope Autodesk is listening to their customers and actively working on this! Let's add stock model calculation to this too. I have a project I'll be sending to DSI this morning.

--------------------------------------
the numbers never lie
Message 42 of 83
briannystadvej

Is it not about time this will be changed also ??

Only one surface can be selected for Surface Finishing

briannystadvej_0-1627896754894.png

Message 43 of 83
jjat-wang
in reply to: briannystadvej

Because each surface is actually disconnected

So the uv lines of these surfaces may be different

Message 44 of 83
TK.421

Let’s not hijack this thread. Open another post about the surface finishing. This thread is for customers to voice their complaints about time forms in powermill. Thanks!

the numbers never lie
Message 45 of 83
cfastNJWK6

Remember, this thread is about the time it takes to open the toolpath form (and other speed issues).  

Maybe someone @Anonymous  could pin this to the top of the forum so we can stop commenting on it?

I promise, me and @TK.421  won't let it fall off of the front page until the issue is resolved.

Message 46 of 83
CKCNC

Success!

This also started for me when the UI changed a few years ago.

I had a computer 'built' to run powermill only in 2017 and from the first time running it slowed down over time.

'forms'/'setttings' would go from 3-5 seconds to >25 seconds.. painful to watch.

only way to clear it was to reboot the computer or do a logout/login, but then that only bought me 1-24 hours, then it started to slow again. 

I tried everything:

menudelay to 0

antivirus compatibility

turn off antivirus all together

disable plugins

change windows user profile

graphics card drivers

network hardware changes

new computer

different brand graphics cards

add more ram

I reached out to Autodesk support too, they were responsive and helpful but everything they suggested didn't work either. So, I  created a support ticket with our local IT company so they would pick apart our system and try and isolate the problem.  27 emails later, nothing definitive except a bill.

Then as a last ditch effort I uninstalled an FTP program called CutefluteFTP from globalscape that we use to dump the posted code into the CNCs.  IMMEDIATE!!! speed increase to what I call normal 3-5 seconds. 

SOLUTION:

If you can, uninstall every piece of software on your computer and then add back one at a time until Pmill barks. I would have never thought a dumb FTP program could make powermill so angry.

Cheers 

Message 47 of 83
M_Hennig

I read thru this thread again for the 2nd time, while I don't doubt there is a huge slowdown for some guys, I am not seeing it.  I tried several projects, with several forms, I get about 3 seconds max, while not as instant as I would like, it's not a deal breaker for me. I really can't put a finger on why such huge differences with some of the other guys. Maybe the automatic saving options, or saving to a network?

Message 48 of 83
TK.421
in reply to: M_Hennig

@M_Hennig  It’s a huge deal when you work on a project with hundreds of toolpaths. I don’t autosave and my projects are always on the desktop, never the server.  Three seconds seems ok, but when it’s three to five seconds for every form, all day everyday that adds up to a lot of wasted money and time…

the numbers never lie
Message 49 of 83
diegoverciano85

Good afternoon,

I saw a video with a "plugin settings", which helps with the timing problem when opening toolpaths settings. How do I get this puglin? I speak from Brazil, interesting that it was in Portuguese.

I thank you

Message 50 of 83

Hi to all,

just to admit same problem here. I thought it is something normal. Opening tool path form takes a lot of time.

Running PowerMill Ultimate 2021.1.1.2021109

Specs:

Intel (R) i9-9900K,

RAM 32 GB,

Quadro P4000,

NVMe SSD.

Message 51 of 83
jjat-wang
in reply to: diegoverciano85

This plug-in is made by myself, he is inclined to my usage habit

And the language is only Chinese

I am planning to change it to the version used by the general public

Message 52 of 83
diegoverciano85

Very interesting the way he got fast. If you need help translating it, or anything like that, I'm available.

Message 53 of 83
iamcdn79
in reply to: TK.421

@TK.421 wrote:

@M_Hennig  It’s a huge deal when you work on a project with hundreds of toolpaths. I don’t autosave and my projects are always on the desktop, never the server.  Three seconds seems ok, but when it’s three to five seconds for every form, all day everyday that adds up to a lot of wasted money and time…

@TK.421 @rafael.sansao 

I just had a macro idea for this issue. Would there be a way to make one where it records the time it takes the form page to show up from the time you selected a toolpath strategy? And just record that all the time.

This way we could document the time we waste waiting every day and show this to Autodesk when the time comes to renew our subscription.

Intel Core i9 13900KF CPU
128 GB Kingston Beast DDR4 SDRAM
PNY RTX A2000 6GB Video Card
WD 1 TB SSD Hard Drive
Windows 11 Pro

Message 54 of 83
TK.421
in reply to: iamcdn79

@iamcdn79  That is an excellent idea!! I will look into that tomorrow while I’m plugging away on my jobs

the numbers never lie
Message 55 of 83
cfastNJWK6

I like this idea too...unfortunately I can't think of a way to do it via macro that won't change the programming workflow.  Wouldn't the macro have to open the form? So instead of right clicking on a toolpath, then clicking "Settings", the user would have to right click on the toolpath, go to the custom user menu, and click the macro.  This would work, but I'm guessing the users will forget time to time and we won't get an accurate count.

If anyone can figure out how to make a native function of PowerMILL also fire off a macro, I'd be very interested to learn how.  That would open up a whole new world of possibilities with macros. 

Message 56 of 83
TK.421
in reply to: cfastNJWK6

i will try working it into my plugin. i just need to figure out how to tell when the form is loaded. idk if there's an event for that or not

the numbers never lie
Message 57 of 83
Alex470
in reply to: cfastNJWK6

Maybe if you can use a keybord shortcut to triger the macro, so no need to right click every time

Message 58 of 83
cfastNJWK6

You may be able to pass the widget() function from the macro language from your plugin to see if the form is open.

cfastNJWK6_0-1629287397824.png

Message 59 of 83
cfastNJWK6
in reply to: Alex470

This macro will append the amount of time it takes to open the toolpath (in seconds) to a csv file:

INT $START = time()
FORM TOOLPATH
INT $END = time()
INT $TOTAL = $END - $START

FILE OPEN "C:\dcam\TimeStudy.csv" FOR APPEND AS input
FILE WRITE $TOTAL TO input
FILE CLOSE input
Message 60 of 83
Sean570

@TK.421 There is a form raised event. So maybe the two of us can work on some plugin solution for tracking the time.

form raised.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report