Did you mean: 

Publishing AutoCAD Plug-in

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
ltucker22VY7
529 Views, 12 Replies

Publishing AutoCAD Plug-in

I'm getting to the end of creating a plug-in for AutoCAD that is, as of right now, essentially just a string of commands. This is supposed to be an internal tool, but the thought of having it on the app store makes sense for ease of distribution and also in the chance that someone else finds it helpful. 

I am now struggling to begin the process of getting it onto the app store. My main concern is that this is not a standalone app and I'm unsure where to start. I have registered on the app store so that part is out of the way, the submission form is straightforward, but section to upload the app files makes me unsure of what is needed. When it says the accepted files are .zip ... and .msi, I don't know whether it will be okay if I upload a zipped file that contains only my .cs file. 

Apologies if this seems like a very straight forward answer, but I appreciate all of the help.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
_gile
in reply to: ltucker22VY7

Hi,

You should read this page.

Gilles Chanteau
Programmation AutoCAD LISP/.NET
GileCAD
GitHub

Message 3 of 13
ltucker22VY7
in reply to: _gile

So @_gile what I gather from this is you suggest a file share system for an internal plug-in? That makes much more sense to me and I appreciate the input.

I will say I have run into an issue with 'netload'-ing the .dll onto a co-workers machine. They have selected the correct .dll, it loads with no errors, however the command is not recognized. I have also made sure to set the 'copy local' to false for the AutoCAD references in the code. I have a sneaking suspicion that it has to do with the a .NET framework version on their computer, but I am unsure. Am up for any suggestions. 

Message 4 of 13
Ed.Jobe

If you set up your plugin as a *.bundle, then to "install" it, all you have to do is copy the bundle to one of the folders where AutoCAD looks for bundles.

As far as your problem with commands not being there is because the dll is failing to load. Usually that is because they don't have something installed on their pc that you have referenced on the dev pc.

Ed

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
How to post your code.

EESignature

Message 5 of 13
ltucker22VY7
in reply to: Ed.Jobe

I believe the problem is that I am targeting .NET 4.8. I suppose you cannot install 4.8 on a machine that already has a newer version of .NET, so my question would be is there a work around to this? To my knowledge, 4.8 is the most recent supported version for plug-in development (although I could be wrong).
Message 6 of 13
Ed.Jobe

The version of NET that you target depends on the version of AutoCAD you are developing for. For 2021-2024 you need to target 4.8. For 2019-2020, you need to target 4.7.  And yes you can install a previous version of the framework. You can have multiple versions installed. You probably have 2.0 installed even.

Take a look at your project references and make sure that all of them exist on the other pc's.

Ed

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
How to post your code.

EESignature

Message 7 of 13
kdub_nz

@ltucker22VY7 , hi,

It's my understanding that the targeted .NET version is installed(or confirmed) along with AutoCAD install.

Framework 4.81 is available.
regards,

// Called Kerry in my other life.

Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.

class keyThumper<T> : Lazy<T>;      another  Swamper

Message 8 of 13
Ed.Jobe
in reply to: kdub_nz

@ltucker22VY7  So in addition to what @kdub_nz says, if your clients pc is running a different version than your dev pc (you didn't say what version you or they are using), then you can have problems with the references (not necessarily the framework)

Ed

How to post your code.

EESignature

Message 9 of 13
ltucker22VY7

First I would like to thank you both for the help @kdub_nz and @Ed.Jobe. We are running AutoCAD 2024, and you were correct, my mistake, we both have the correct framework version as well. I've included a list of my references. I'm unsure if they would need to have anything additional as 'AcCoreMgd', 'AcDbMgd', and 'AcMgd' are all included with AutoCAD (to my understanding). I have made sure to set their 'Copy Local' properties to False and rebuilt the project to no avail.

Message 10 of 13
Ed.Jobe

You shouldn't need to reference Microsoft.Csharp. They're not going to have that unless they have visuals studio installed. If your app needs that reference, you can install the vs sdk on their pc.

Ed

How to post your code.

EESignature

Message 11 of 13
ltucker22VY7

This may be silly but, could it be a permissions related issue? When they were downloading the file from me, Microsoft Defender advised against it, is there any way that it could be blocked? Although one would think that if it were blocked there would be some sort of error message.
Message 12 of 13
_gile

Hi all,

Keep in mind the referenced libraries in Visual Studio are only needed by Visual Studio to enable compilation and edit time helpers.

On the client machine these libraries which Copy Local is False are part of the .NET Framework, the GAC (Global Assembly Cache) or the targeted application (AutoCAD in this case). I

If you reference some home made libraries, you have to set their Copy Local property to true and deploy them in the same folder as the projetc DLL.

@ltucker22VY7  a écrit :
This may be silly but, could it be a permissions related issue? When they were downloading the file from me, Microsoft Defender advised against it, is there any way that it could be blocked? Although one would think that if it were blocked there would be some sort of error message.

If the DLL have been downloaded, it to be unblocked.

Gilles Chanteau
Programmation AutoCAD LISP/.NET
GileCAD
GitHub

Message 13 of 13
ltucker22VY7
in reply to: _gile

Thank you all @_gile@Ed.Jobe, and @kdub_nz for all of your inputs. Figured out that it was an issue with our security and it was blocking the .dll from executing, thankfully it has been resolved. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta