Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of memory

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
729 Views, 4 Replies

Out of memory

Hi, 

Im new to Mudbox, so I hope this is a simple fix. I'm trying to load in a mesh from 3ds max to mudbox (using the "send to mudbox" option), but am running into an issue; Mudbox reports "Out of memory" when I try to do nearly anything with the mesh. Undo is the worst, but even just a grab will cause issues.

Currently there are no lods/levels, and the mesh is only 13,048 polygons, but mudbox is eating well over 13gb of memory (this seemed to climb from 6gb  I messed/clicked and got that error, but as of writing this has leveled off to 13gb). 

Win10

I5 4690k

24gb ram

gtx 1080

log and dxdiag attached.

What is the fix for this? Is this an issue because the mesh came from Max?

Thanks for the help

Edit: This happens as well when I export the file from Max as an fbx and import it to Mudbox, except I lose all my nice quads and it draws all the triangles. When trying to make a new scene when its in this state, Mudbox keeps the memory its gathered, but crashes soon after.

Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jill.ramsay
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi there,

Sorry you are running into this! Would you be able to share the file with us? If it's under 10 MB, you can email it to me at jill.ramsay@autodesk.com. Otherwise I can send you a link where you can put it. Also which version of Max and of Mudbox are you using?

Thanks,

Jill

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: jill.ramsay

Hi Jill,

I'll get the file sent off to you so you can look at it, but playing around with it I believe it may have something to do with the size/scale of the file. When I scale it smaller before importing to mudbox the issue is much less likely to happen. I have not extensively tested it yet however. 

Message 4 of 5
jill.ramsay
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Matthew, 

Definitely something very strange going on with this mesh - I don't get the out of memory error (I have 32 GB), but the grab brush moves the entire mesh, and if I do freeze transformations and then use the grab brush again, I can crash Mudbox reliably. Thanks for sharing your file - I will let you know if we discover a workaround.

Jill

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: jill.ramsay

Jill,

Sure thing, thanks for taking a look. Like I said before, I can avoid most
issues if I shrink the mesh down very small before taking it to Mudbox, so
its not terminal, just a little annoying to work with brush sizes 0.01 to

-Matthew

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report