Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

few questions on normal mapping with mudbox

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
330 Views, 3 Replies

few questions on normal mapping with mudbox

Hi,

i'm fairly new to modelling and creating normal maps process and was wondering if there is a way to avoid certain areas on the normal map appearing strange.

I model first in maya then send to mudbox, subdivide and then export the normal map with a raycast closest to low res mesh.

should my UV's be more joined together? (i just used auto UV to show a quick example of what happens)

i have tried inserting support edge loops which helps when smoothing but gets pretty complicated when it comes to a more complicated object.

i tried altering the hard/soft edges but my model smooths too much in mud box when subdividing.

i also creased the edges to see if this would help but i always end up with some weird looking edges on my normal maps

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Its_jay
in reply to: Anonymous

First
When you wanna work with hard edge in mudbox you must make sure turn off smooth subdivision >for creating hard edges than use subdivision
Second
Make sure your normal map resolution output is high like 2k or 4k for better result
Third
Make sure your uv’s is too great for normal map and so on ..
Hope this information comes helpful
Message 3 of 4
imre.major

Could you please attach the normal map with some indicators what do you mean by strange? Which area are you not satisfied with?

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

On the first image I uploaded it shows the edge of the normal map when viewed in maya... it creates a very dark edge on the inside.

I think it is something I am doing wrong and just trying to pin point of how to make it better... I am yet to try some of the methods stated above I will try when I’m home.

Thanks for the reply

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report