Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to use Boolean

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
325 Views, 3 Replies

Unable to use Boolean

Whenever I select Bolean Union it jumps to level 1- refining... and it's just stuck there. I let it go all not but nothing. 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
MagWeb
in reply to: Anonymous

Does this work? :

1. From the welcome splash screen load the sphere.
  2. Run EDIT/Transform and hit D to get a duplicate. Now move one sphere to a position where it still intersects the other sphere. Accept.
  3. Activate the second sphere too (Shift + LMB-click) and run EDIT/BooleanUnion.

If that works we need further information and images of the meshes your trying to process and their intersection.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: MagWeb

Using your method it seems to work fine. Not sure what's the issue with my model. 

I have a model that needed to be split up to fit the print bed, so I split them into 4 equal parts to use one of the available connecting tabs to join the pieces back together. 

Here's the file to the design

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16LbP5WMzyfzrbCUqyucQZxqdTbCagfeB/view?usp=sharing

This photo is the full design

https://i.postimg.cc/6Qk550sw/cut-1.png 

Cut into 4 sections trying to apply the union

https://i.postimg.cc/SxZnqCNN/cut-1.png 

Message 4 of 4
MagWeb
in reply to: Anonymous

The dense dowel mesh intersects the other in one triangle only.

You need to SELECT > select the plane resulting from the cut and Edit/Remesh  to get more density locally or if you plan to do more connectors via Booleans: SelectAll and Remesh.

If you still have the source mesh before the cut and you plan several male/female connectors  this might be much faster:

Ad and place all the connectors to the source mesh. Set the source mesh to use the transparency SHADER.

Combine all connectors to one object. Make a duplicate of that and run SelectAll>Edit/FlipNormals on it.

Now you have a "male" positive and a "female" negative version of the connectors.

Hide the male connectors.

Activate the source mesh and the female connectors object and do EDIT/Combine.

Now do your cuts and separate the parts. You end up with female connectors on both sides.

Show the male connectors object separate it shells.

Now, depending on your slicer it might be enough to combine the male connectors to the parts (e.g. resin printer slicers should handle that combined result as one solid)

Or you might need to select the female holes and Edit/EraseAndFill them where a male should be and to use BooleanUnion to weld. The mesh density should be no issue in this case for there was a hole needing the same density before.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report