Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

modifying the bottom of a model

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
1608 Views, 8 Replies

modifying the bottom of a model

Hey Guys,

I have been using mesh mixer to modify 3d scanned feet for use with our cnc router. I am trying to something a bit different for a 3d printed version. I need to keep the top surface separate from the bottom surface. I have tried the extrude tool to do what I need but not getting the results i want.  I have included the file for use. I want to again keep the surface against the foot to stay the same yet add to the bottom. All of my brush selections seem to manipulate the whole model

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
MagWeb
in reply to: Anonymous

Not sure about what you're trying to get...

If you hit Ctrl+A (Cmd+A on MAC) you get SelectAll.

Now running Edit/Extrude works fine. If you want a flat surface at the bottom you need to set EndType to Flat...Ohne Titel.png

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: MagWeb

Hey Thanks!

So I am aware if the extrusion. What I am needing help with is manipulating just the bottom side of the model. When I shape the bottom with brushes it changes both sides.

Message 4 of 9
MagWeb

If you want to sculpt on a thin object at the side looking towards to you:

Disable Volumetric in the Brush's properties

Or

if there's a group definition (created on Extrude) enable RestrictToGroup (open the Filters dropdown to do that) to sculpt on that group only

If you want to restrict a selection using the select brush to one side only:

In SELECT set BrushMode to UnwrapBrush

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

So I have made this sort of work but it seems pretty crude. So I have taken my file and selected all

Extruded

plane cut(which is hollow)

Make solid( takes the crisp model and makes it bumpy and lumpyIMG_4171.JPGIMG_4168.JPGextruded and plane cutextruded and plane cutIMG_4172.JPG)

then set out to shape the bottom with the brushes. I have come up with something that looks 85% but it is pretty lumpy and not super even.

Message 6 of 9
MagWeb

Here's a screencast combining regular and flat extrusion (this might need a while to be displayed):

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 7 of 9
hfcandrew

Looks good Gunter

@Anonymous I'm a Pedorthist, I use MM as my CAD in my clinic. You too are also trained in the field feel free to use some orthotic jargon with me if you'd like to better describe what features you want in your orthotic design.

Are you making rigid plastic or softer low durometer EVA type device?

Or perhaps something with a FF varus corrected to neutral, balanced rearfoot post, transitional 1.5mm heel cup wall to a 3mm MLA thickness with an extended deeper heel cup and UCBL style trim lines and a tapered thin anterior border? Haha, a bit over engineer, I know, I know.

hfcandrew_0-1590112107185.png

ps. dont take a photo of your screen, just hit the print screen button.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: hfcandrew

This is exactly what I was trying to figure out. Now my hang up is precision smoothing(scooping) the arch are to fit better in the shoe.

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: hfcandrew

Not too much jargon for me. This is all necessary to communicate what the patient needs 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report