Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to not use .tx files for Arnold

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
chaneyx
6575 Views, 3 Replies

How to not use .tx files for Arnold

The auto-conversion of textures to .tx is very inefficient in many environments. Is there a way to disable it and use one of the industry standard formats directly without having duplicates of all textures on my filesystem? 

I know the intent of the .tx is to save memory, speed up load time, work better over networks but in practice it has many problems that really slow down real world production. 

It is creating a larger duplicate files for every texture map on my file system. It needs to be re-converted every time a minor change is made negating all other efficiencies during look dev. Computers working locally with fast drives and good memory do not benefit significantly ( at all? ) from the tiled structure.

On a behavior level I have seen it introduced mishaps for collaborating teams when texture artists are saving as standard formats ( tif, exr, jpg, etc. ) and updates are not occurring properly or confusion about colorspace is not easy for the average artist to diagnose because the artist does not have a good way to view the .tx file. 

It may work well in some environments/situations but not others. Other renderers simply solve this by giving the user the option. 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mspeer
in reply to: chaneyx

Hi!

The options are here:

Render Settings > Arnold Render > Textures > ...

Message 3 of 4
chaneyx
in reply to: mspeer

Thanks! 

Message 4 of 4

in render options

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report