Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about modeling from image texture in maya

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Wretchedbeaches
172 Views, 4 Replies

Question about modeling from image texture in maya

So i come from using blender and in blender you can import a image as plane and using the knife tool you can inset/extrude faces and build geometry that way kind of link what in my Example pic. My Question is is this possible to do inside of maya? or is there another way to achieve this? The issue i was running into with maya was that when verts/edges were moved around the UVs would stretch and warp when trying to move the edge loops around to match edge lines within the image texture.  In the blender screenshot you can see how they extruded certain areas to build the geo from the image. the second screenshot is a example so lets say i want to use that as a image texture but want to extrude and inset around the window and door frame to give it depth, how would you go about doing that if at all possible within maya? or should i give up on this pursuit of modeling this way lol?

Labels (5)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
damaggio
in reply to: Wretchedbeaches

It's the same as in Blender, just follow the reference image.

Message 3 of 5
Wretchedbeaches
in reply to: damaggio

okay but how can i get the UVs to stop warping and stretching when i need to move verts/Edges? also when i use the knife tool i cant close a circle like how the ref image did with the tv button at the bottom,

Message 4 of 5
damaggio

.you can also use additional tools such as edge loops and circularise tool if needed.

Message 5 of 5
damaggio

to make the circle you need to connect to a corner like he did in blender, then finish the circle with the multicut again to close it, You can enable preserve UVs in the move tool but that is not always 100 % reliable. you can see in the blender image his uvs stretch also.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report