Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya Crash When Sending Object to Display Layer (After Adding Modeling Tool Node)

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
michael.easter
566 Views, 5 Replies

Maya Crash When Sending Object to Display Layer (After Adding Modeling Tool Node)

When sending an object to a display layer, if you have recently performed an action on the model (best example is a bevel) then Maya will crash.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create New Maya File

2. Create Display Layer

3. Create Cube (I use interactive creation, not sure if this is related or not)

4. Select some edges

5. Perform a bevel using markup menus

6. Enter object mode using markup menus (Do not click anywhere else, I assume the issue is related to the bevel node being selected instead of the object)

7. Add cube to display layer by right clicking on it and selecting "add selected objects"

8. Maya Crashes

I'd report this as a bug, but my organization seems to be blocking me from sending reports.

Version: Maya 2023.3

Labels (6)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Can anyone else reproduce at least? I've verified the issue on multiple machines, but they're all configured specially for my org, maybe it's just me? Seems like low hanging fruit for a meaningful fix...

Message 3 of 6
damaggio
in reply to: michael.easter

I couldn't replicate that Michael, sorry no crash here....at least not on those steps.

Message 4 of 6

Attached is an animated gif. Attached is a video file because it's not preserving the gif animation...

Maybe this makes the steps more clear (this is windows 11, but also occurs on 10) I can't screen record on my work machines.

Message 5 of 6

Just had a coworker look at it, he wasn't crashing if he wasn't using markup menus to change context (edge mode, object mode, etc...)

He did not crash when using the F8 key to go back to object mode, but did crash when using the right click menu to go to object mode.

Message 6 of 6

It looks like my suspicions were correct, but I was wrong about how the bevel node was selected. This video has the node editor open. The first time I toggle out of edge mode after the bevel using the F8 hotkey. When I do this, the transform node is the only one that remains selected. However the second time I use marking menus to switch to object mode after the bevel, and you can see in the node editor that the bevel node remains selected and the transform node is added to that selection.

I believe that the bevel node being selected is causing the crash. Maybe it's looking for a shape node attached to it and there's no catch for that.

Can anyone at Autodesk track this one internally? It's been happening since at least Maya 2023.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report