Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xgen Crashing in maya 2017 and 2018

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
2275 Views, 15 Replies

Xgen Crashing in maya 2017 and 2018

Hello!!

I am a beginner in xgen and i have a problem, when  i use interactive groom splines and use the  comb brush and mark the option "collapse with mesh" everytime maya crash.

-i have the last version of nvidia.

- i reset my preferences.

-is a specific file that this happens.

Does anyone know why this happens?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous and welcome to the community!

When Maya crashes does it generate an error report to fill out and submit to Autodesk? If so can you please fill it out and let me know what the CER report number is?

Also, you said that its a scene specific issue. So if you make a fresh scene with a basic cube and Xgen then do the same steps does the crash not occur?

Please let me know if anything changes!

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi! Thanks for answering.

It does not show any error report. It only freezes and closes.

Yes. In a new scene the program Works correctly. but the problem is that i want to wok on a file where i have the model.

I try  Create a new scene and import the file but still not working.

Message 4 of 16
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

So you tried exporting everything as an fbx and importing it into a new scene and it still didn't work?

Hmm ok. 

When you get a chance, can you please zip and attach the scene file here or via dropbox/google drive or another file sharing program so I can take a look at it? If the file is confidential or under NDA please send it to me in a private message instead of posting it here.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous

Hi!! 

I already sent it.

Message 6 of 16
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

Thanks for sending me the scene file!

I've done a good bit of testing and the issue seems to be with the model itself. I tried creating a simple IGS groom on a human model and the comb tool with collide on mesh works fine but it wont work on yours no matter how I clean it.

That said, I passed this along to our QA team so they can test this and see if its indeed an issue that needs to be fixed with Maya or if its something simple on your end that can be fixed.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous

Thank You. I did not know what to do to solve it. i hope there is a solution.

Message 8 of 16
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

Just to give you an update. QA is currently testing your issue however I will be out of the office tomorrow as well as the weekend.

I'll be sure to update you as soon as I have word from them on your issue!

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous

Ok, Thanks.

Message 10 of 16
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

QA got back to me and the issue is indeed with your model not with Xgen or Maya itself.

From the QA team:

• it seems to be the extremities geo that is causing the issue.  
    • see video of separating the geo and areas that is slowing down the groom
  • does not crash but is not interactive at all

• rebuilt the wing and the interactivity is much better (see video rebuiltBirdWing-2018-11-16_13.39.51.mp4)
  • looks like there is manifold geometry in the original geometry which isn't easily cleaned up with Maya's cleanup tool
    • known issue with xgen

I attached a scene file and videos of them working with your issue that should help you resolve this!

Message 11 of 16
sean.heasley

One of the videos didnt upload so I added it here

Message 12 of 16
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

I'm just checking in again to see if you need more help with this. Did the info/videos I provided yesterday work for you?

If so, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous

Hi.
YES. it worked. Thanks.

Message 14 of 16
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

Awesome glad it worked for you!

Message 15 of 16
shawnLM3LT

wondering if you could help me with an xgen issue as well.  I have a character with an xgen beard and the scene crashes randomly upon trying to "save as" as I save in iterations.

This happens in any scene as this is my main character at work and this has been an issue since I had this character rebuilt and updated about a year ago.

It seems to not generate an xgen sidecar file when I'm trying to save.  

I'm sending a screenshot of the scene folder displaying the saved and crashed scenes.

Thank you.

Message 16 of 16
shawnLM3LT

Wondering if you could help me with an xgen issue as well.  I have a character with an xgen beard and the scene crashes randomly upon trying to "save as" as I save in iterations.

This happens in any scene as this is my main character at work and this has been an issue since I had this character rebuilt and updated about a year ago.

It seems to not generate an xgen sidecar file when I'm trying to save.  

I'm sending a screenshot of the scene folder displaying the saved and crashed scenes.

Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report