Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wacom Mobile studio pro 16 vs surface book 2

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
ellistan
5499 Views, 5 Replies

Wacom Mobile studio pro 16 vs surface book 2

im looking at getting either a Microsoft surfacebook 2 with 1tb SSD or the Wacom mobile studio pro 16 with 512gb SSD. I want to be able to use it for either photoshop, cad, lightroom, maya, cinema 4d, zbrush, premier, basically all of Adobe CC, etc but also wanna be able to do programming for like websites and apps as well. i know theres differences between the two but not sure which one would be better to get. 

wacom specs:

i7 6th gen U version cpu

quadro M1000m 4gb graphics

512gb SSD

4k screen

Surfacebook 2 specs

i7 8th gen 8650u (or so) cpu

gtx 1060 6gb graphics

1tb SSD

3x2 (not quite 4k screen)

Problem is i know the surfacebook 2 when max performance is set and using the 1060, the power supply is only 102w and dont have enough wattage to charge the battery so it still depletes the battery over time. A flaw by microsoft. 

Most of my stuff especially 3d rendering wont be gpu rendering mostly unless it needs to use ot for something but im not using octane or anything that is 100% gpu rendering as far maya or cinema 4d is concerned for a while. Or atleast as far as i know but havent really been into 3d in a long while so who knows. Im stuck in a decision and not sure what would be best for me to get. I know theres a ton of videos about the Surface book 2 with alot of cons and some pros too but just trying to see what others would suggest based on what i would be using it for.

Keep in mind what i have currently is below.

Desktop: i7 6900k, 64gb ram, 2 x gtx 1080s, EKWB watercooled full list and pics here ( https://pcpartpicker.com/b/7f8Ycf )

laptop: asus g751jl with 32gb ram, gtx 965m 2gb, i7 4790 i think.

any help and suggestions is greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
sean.heasley
in reply to: ellistan

Hi @ellistan

Unfortunately I can't recommend specific hardware. That said, if you're going to be doing a lot of rendering you'll want to focus on a machine with a powerful GPU for sure.

Also please feel free to check our hardware and GPU requirements and recommendations and if you have any other questions I'm here to help!

You can find our certified hardware list here!

You can find our certified system requirements here!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 3 of 6
sean.heasley
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi @ellistan

I'm just checking in again to see if you need more help with this. Did the information I provided yesterday help you at all?

If so, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 4 of 6
ellistan
in reply to: sean.heasley

yea it helped. I was told by one person in particular that he dont think that due to the surface book 2 even though it has a gtx 1060 6gb card that it wont hold up as well over time or be as strong as some of the gaming laptops that have a 1060 or 1070 or 1080 in it due to its cooling style i guess. I was thinking of going with a gaming laptop with a gtx 1070 or gtx 1080 with maybe a wacom cintiq pro 16 to connect to it. Havent really decided on it yet. Just dont know what would be the best option as far as performance and portability and all would be. I have an old laptop that has a gtx 965m 2gb graphics card with an old i7 47xx cpu and 32gb of ram that still works good though and a desktop that has 2 gtx 1080's in sli mode.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: ellistan

I have recently received the iPad Pro and it is also a great tablet for art, but it is very VERY expensive. Also (unfortunately) all the art programs on the iPad Pro require you purchase an additional stylus in order to use pressure sensitivity. I purchased the Apple Pencil ( the highest on recommendations) which also costs a very pretty penny at the price of 95$. 

I love my XP-Pen Artist 22E Pro 21.5" IPS display monitor tablet so much. I learned how to operate this at my animation and video editing class! xp-pen produce the good graphics tablets for art in the industry . But please do not forget that this is a PROFESSIONAL TABLET please take that in consideration first before you go out and buy one.

Lets consider what it can do!

1. Its at least 550$. 

2. INDOOR USE ONLY .

3. Can be used with any computer.

4. Great for animators and artists .

5. Awesome display .

6. Stylus comes with tablet .

7. Can run Paint Tool Sai, Photoshop, OpenToonz, and much more! 

more details : https://www.xp-pen.com/goods/show/id/342.html

iPad Pro + Apple Pencil

I am really liking it so far (even though I only use one app for drawing.) It has a lot of potential to being a great tablet for the arts, it just needs more apps for...well art. They have lots of sketch apps, but after shooting my pocket and buying an Apple Pencil I can barely afford a peanut. Most of these said apps require you to buy a subscription to even enable pressure sensitivity or layers in the app. Which can kind of get costly when it isn't even the best quality.

It can be for indoor and outdoor use! Battery life kind of runs quick but besides that it's pretty good!

1. At least 600$ The one I have is approximately 800$ .

2. Indoor and outdoor use!

3. Is only compatible with Apple products. 

4. Great for artists, not yet for animators. 

5. 12.9 Display IS great for artists! 

6. Stylus is not included. 

7. Can only run apps that are available in the Apple App Store. 

So that's all I have to say about these two tablets! Now you decide which is the better of the two!

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I use the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil and frankly it's the top, I have never encountered a crash or bug or anything, I recommend.

Pirate Bay YIFY RARBG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report