Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using undo (cntrl-z) screws up placement of joints/geo/groups

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
cms9094
690 Views, 5 Replies

Using undo (cntrl-z) screws up placement of joints/geo/groups

Alright, so I am having a really weird issue here..

I am following a tutorial on Skillshare. I rigged my character (just a simple block man), and now I am animating it. I was using the graph editor to change some tangents around, and had to use "undo" (cntrl-z) to undo some placement of those tangents. After using cntrl-z, a few of my joints are now snapped to the center of the scene, when they should be parented or constrained to a couple of curves.

I have attached three files. The first file is just the rigged character standing in one spot. There are a couple of layers that house the bottom and top of the rig and geo, so they may need to be enabled or disabled to see things properly.

There are two heel groups in this rig (right and left). There are also two toe control curves. These two things seem to be snapping themselves to X0 for some odd reason, even though they were never there during any past movements. Therefore, hitting cntrl-z shouldn't have moved those groups at all. In fact, those two groups should be parent constrained to the foot control curves.

Anyhow, if someone could take a look at these files, and perhaps let me know what I've done wrong here, I'd appreciate it. I can't seem to figure this out. Those groups should not be snapping to X0, or moving at all during an undo..

The first two files should be good for reference, whereas the third file is the one with the screwed up undo, where the heel and toe control groups seem to be acting weird during an undo.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
cms9094
in reply to: cms9094

I have attached a screenshot to the original post. This is what happens to the geometry when making a few changes to the walk cycle, and then using "Z" to undo. Most of the layered geometry is completely screwed..

Message 3 of 6
cms9094

Updating Maya to 2022.3 has fixed this issue.

EDIT: Apparently not. I changed an undo setting - "Consolidate undo steps for Time Changes" from checked to unchecked, and that seems to have fixed it. Why? I have no clue..

Message 4 of 6
cms9094

I am going to reply to this thread again to report that this is STILL a problem. If I hit "Z" at some point during the editing of my animations, the actual geometry will get so screwed up that I cannot continue. It has really caused some serious downtime for me, forcing me to backup every few moves, just in case it happens unexpectedly.

I don't know what is causing this, but this is just.. How can I have any confidence in the "undo" procedure at all if I'm constantly having geometry crashes.. It seems to happen at random, as I cannot consistently get it to act up.

Is there a log file that I can view for this type of behavior? Would a log file even help in this instance? All I can do at the moment is take screen shots of my window when it happens, and I have already uploaded several above.

What else can I do?

Message 5 of 6
hamsterHamster

What is your current Evaluation mode? Perhaps try other two options, Prefs > Animation > Evaluation

,,,_°(O__O)°_,,,
Maya2019.1 @ Windows10 & GeForce GTX1080Ti

If the post was helpful, click the
 ACCEPT SOLUTION  button, so others might find it much more easily.

Message 6 of 6
cms9094
in reply to: hamsterHamster

The current mode is set to DG, as the default was causing some stuttering in the viewport during animations.

Just curious, though - what would this setting have to do with geometry being messed up during an "undo"?

The funny thing is, the geometry really doesn't get screwed up as much as it just snaps to some other random location. Like, if I hit undo after I move a controller that moves the entire arm a bit, sometimes the entire arm will get snapped to the floor. Or, when I move the head a bit, then hit undo, the head bone gets snapped to the floor, thereby moving the head geo with it. It's really weird..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report