Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pivot rotate snap

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
HeavyMetalFox
176 Views, 4 Replies

Pivot rotate snap

Hello,
I am trying to rotate the pivot by 90degrees on my meshes and I have hundreds of them.
I tried setting the snap rotate to 90 but it seems that only affects the rotate tool and no the pivot rotate tool which only snap rotates by 15 degrees.

Any ideas on how I can get the pivot rotate tool to snap by 90 degrees?

a1.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
brentmc
in reply to: HeavyMetalFox

Hi,

This looks like a bug so I will open a defect but in the meantime I can share a workaround.

Combined manipulators like the pivot manip (that has both move and rotate controls) take their snapping values from the Show Manipulator tool (T hotkey) which is typically used by modeling operation etc.

https://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYAUL/2024/ENU/?guid=GUID-E368AEA1-6B14-46BF-B329-8C966565C989

The only catch is those options only appear in the tool settings when the corresponding manip elements are set.

So, the easiest way to set the snapping used by the pivot manip is to call a MEL command to set the snap increment for the Show Manipulator tool like this:

showManipCtx -e -incSnapValue 2 90 showManip3D;

Brent McPherson
Principle Engineer
Message 3 of 5
HeavyMetalFox
in reply to: brentmc

Hey Brent,
Thanks for the info, but the link provided is broken.
The script worked as a charm!

Now I have thousand of objects in my scene and they all have their X axis pointing forward, is their a way to batch select all those pivots and rotate their pivot around the Y axis so the Z axis becomes the one pointing forward?

Message 4 of 5
brentmc
in reply to: HeavyMetalFox

I fixed the link and also replied to your other thread regarding how to apply this to many objects.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya-modeling/batch-rotate-pivots/m-p/12085949

Brent McPherson
Principle Engineer
Message 5 of 5

Thanks alot.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report