Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photoshop File Color Different In Maya?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
4425 Views, 10 Replies

Photoshop File Color Different In Maya?

Created a basic cube to test out a PSD Network texture and the color is much lighter and different than if I were to use a jpg of the same exact image as the texture. I also notice when i just use a jpg in the color slot that there is a slider for the Exposure but not when you do the PSD Network. How can I get the colors I see in Photoshop to show up exactly the same in Maya? Is there a way to still adjust the exposure also for PSD Networks? Using Maya 2017 for game creation not rendering. Havent touched any of the render or color management settings in Maya and am just using the default color profiles in Photoshop. 

The screen shot is literally everything at their defaults except the cubes with the UVs in the color slots and as you can see all the colors are different for some reason. No lights.

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
mspeer
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi!

Some Color Profiles may lead to unexpected results.

I tested your setup with a file saved as ".psd" and ".jpg" (both sRGB ), loaded jpg with file-node and psd with psdFileTex-node and it works fine. I also enabled "Use Flat Lighting" for a better comparison.

test_psd.jpg

Please upload a scene-file with textures, that shows the problem.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: mspeer

Thanks for the response! Did you try creating a psd network or just load in a psd file? Not sure if its the same or not but maybe thats why? I archived my Maya scene for you to test out, it created a zip with my jpg and psd as well. Im thinking it definitely has something to do with the psd having a different color profile but am not sure how to remedy the situation when using the PSD Network process for texturing. 

Thanks for your help!

Message 4 of 11
mspeer

Hi!

Both of your images don't have a Color Space assigned and that's not the problem. The problem is related to the Color Management in Maya.

Look what happens if i create psdFileTex-node and assign it to your material, also the icons differ in color.

psd_tex.gif

What Maya Version (update Version) do you use? Is this a scene from an older Maya Version?

Your node is not connected to "defaultColorMgtGlobals", so the psdFile (and the icon) in your case is treated as "RAW" and not as "sRGB".

You may loaded this file from an older Version or you defined some overrides for .psd files in the color management?

Please reset your preferences and create a new scene afterwards.
Rename the folder prefs in folder 2017 to something like prefs_backup, or to reset everything, the folder 2017 to 2017_backup. Maya creates new folders. Detailed at:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Reset-May...

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Thank you for your response!

I've never used the nodes aspect of Hypershade before, just the texturing panel on the far right (im somewhat of a beginner with Maya), so im not really sure how you went about switching nodes (or at least which input goes into which) from the psd network file to a new psdtex-node.  Is there a quick tutorial on that somewhere? How would I connect it to a "defaultColorMgtGlobals" node? This is what i'm seeing when I click on the current psd network node...looks scary to me: psdnet.PNG

I'm using Maya 2017 update 2 and the scene I uploaded to you is from that, but it was also doing the same thing for me with update 1. I've also deleted the prefs folder several times and that doesnt seem to do it either. Maybe it is an issue with Photoshop...I could try reinstalling it if you think that might fix and reset the defaults.

Thank you again so much I really appreciate it!

Message 6 of 11
mspeer

Hi!

Ok, i got it. It looks like you found a bug in Maya.

In Hypershade don't use:

Edit -> Create PSD Network, or

Edit -> Convert PSD to File Texture

the nodes will not be connected to the Color Management.

Instead use:

Create -> 2D Textures -> PSD File

or any other method to create a psdFileTex node.

Please report this problem (bug?) to Autodesk.
Help -> Speak Back -> Report a Problem

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Bummer! Thank you for your help though!

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

Forgot to ask, how would I connect to the color management nodes manually after I've loaded in the PSD Network PSD file? Thanks!

Message 9 of 11
mspeer

Hi!

If you create a new PSD File node as described and load a PSD-File there is no need to connect to the color management.

If you created a PSD File node using the Edit -> Create PSD Network command you can't connect them later to the color management with the tools provided in the UI.

To change the behavior of an existing scene (your scene as example):

Create new PSD FIle nodes, copy the image path from the previous node (or point to the psd-file in file-browser) and connect manual to the material. You can do this in Node Editor or Hypershade and create the PSD File nodes by using TAB, drag and drop or the menu, whatever you like.

psd_onnect.gif

(In the first images the connection to Color is already disconnected, forgot to re-connect for screenshots)

Feel free to mark every answer that solves your problem as solution, so others interested in this thread will get a better overview.

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

This is perfect, thank you again!

Message 11 of 11
mspeer

Hi!

I just wanted to add this information from another thread:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya-forum/texture-problem-error/m-p/6721168/highlight/true#M38143

The following commands create a copy of a file-node without connection to the Color Management.

Main Menu

A) Edit-> Duplicate

B) Edit-> Duplicate Special (default settings, duplicate Input Graph/connections "off")

C) Edit-> Duplicate with Transform

Hypershade Menu:

A) Edit-> Duplicate -> Without Network

Workaround:

Use any other option for creating copies of these node type.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report