Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to import .stl files

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Parmenides
22194 Views, 9 Replies

Not able to import .stl files

I am trying to import a .stl file. I get an error "Unrecognized filetype".   In the documentation it says that it should be available under the plugins but it is not there to turn on.  I am using Mac Maya 2018. Thanks. 

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018/ENU/Maya-Cus...

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
sean.heasley
in reply to: Parmenides

Hi @Parmenides

We have an article on this that may help you out.

Easy first step is to try deleting your settings/preferences. If that doesn't work you'll want to check to see if you can open the file in another program to make sure there's nothing wrong with the file itself.

Please let me know if anything changes!

Message 3 of 10
Parmenides
in reply to: sean.heasley

Sean, thanks for your suggestion of deleting the prefs. Yes, I have done that. I wouldn't post anything without doing that first as it is the default remedy. 

That article would be a lot more helpful if they said, here is a simple STL file. Does this import for you?  Instead of "Doesn't work? Then its probably damaged".   I don't even know if the STL import is working correctly. Is it showing in your plugins?  If it is missing in mine, would the preferences affect that? Perhaps it was missed in this build?

Included is a cube in STL format. Can anyone on a Mac/Maya 2018 import this? 

Message 4 of 10
sean.heasley
in reply to: Parmenides

Hi @Parmenides

Thanks for attaching the file! I had no problem importing it into my Maya 2018.4.

There is no longer a specific stl plug-in since 2018. There is the ATF plug-in which I recommend having loaded if it is not loaded already.

It's also possible this may be an issue on Mac specifically. What OS version are you using and is your Maya 2018 on update 4?

Message 5 of 10
Parmenides

I figured it out. The STL file that I was trying to import crashed Maya every time. Even though I scrapped the prefs, the next time I tried to import the STL to see if that helped, it must have destroyed the prefs again. Deleting the prefs used to be a couple times a month, now it is easily a couple of times a week.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

Hello!

i have the same problem..

Smiley Sad

i'm using maya 2018 ( win ) .. and in the list of the files to import ( under "import" ) cannot see "stl". ( i have all the others)

do i have to enable the option " import .stl" somewhere? 

I've already looked in plug-in manager and in preferences.. i can't see naothing abouto stl files..

help! 

thank you! 

Anna

Message 7 of 10
mspeer
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi!

It's all covered by ATF now, it should be available as "STL_ATF".

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: mspeer

THANK YOU!! 

i had to enable  the plugin , now  it works !

Smiley LOL

Message 9 of 10

To make this less confusing for other novices like me who had to go searching, here was the proper solution:

Go to Windows>Settings/Preferences>Plug-In Manager

From there, search "STL" in the bar at the top, and where it says stlTranslator.bundle, check "Loaded" and "Auto-Load".

Cheers

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: steventwigg2012

Bless you for guiding us on the right path!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report