Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Models not showing and Error Cannot find procedure "rebuildShowMenu"

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
4281 Views, 11 Replies

Models not showing and Error Cannot find procedure "rebuildShowMenu"

Hey all. I made a few models in Maya a long time ago but now that I try to open them up again there's an issue (see images). First it asks me to save or not, then there's the error message in red. It doesn't seem to have affected every one of the files. Not really sure what the problem is!.. Anyone have any ideas? Do you think I can get the models back?

Hi @Anonymous your title 'HELP WITH LOST MAYA MODELS' was edited for clarity by @sean.heasley

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous and welcome to the community!

Does the scene file not open at all or does it just open to a blank scene? 

When you get a chance, can you please zip and attach the scene file here or via dropbox/google drive or another file sharing program so I can take a look at it?

As for that error, you may want to try deleting your settings/preferences.

Let me know if anything changes!

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi @sean.heasley. Thanks a lot for replying.

I've just sat down & went through all my files - it turns out that it's only 2 out of them all that won't open. Basically when I open the file, a dialogue box asks me if I want to save the untitled scene (is this even supposed to happen..? I think I attached a screenshot of it already in my original post). Then I click 'Don't Save', which seems to work for all the other files as then they open fine. But with these 2 files in particular when I click 'Don't Save' it opens to a blank screen (not even an actual blank scene with the grid - just a blank screen as shown in my other screenshot) & comes up with that message in red on the bottom right. I've tried deleting my settings/preferences as detailed in the link you sent, but it hasn't changed anything. I've attached the 2 files here.

By the way, since deleting my settings/preferences, Maya has put a 'maya' folder in my documents. How do I get rid of that? Or if it has to be kept, where else could I put it so that it's not in My Documents?

Oh & also, I've noticed that each folder of mine that has Maya files in it also has an empty 'keyboard' file. Is this a necessary file to keep? Or can I delete it? How about '.mayaSwatches' folders?

Thanks! 🙂

Message 4 of 12
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

Thanks for attaching the scene files!

I was able to open both of them fine with no issues or error warnings.

The save prompt usually only happens if you have a scene you made changes in or did anything really then try to open another scene file.

As for your other questions, the maya folder you're seeing in your Documents is where Maya stores the project folder, scripts, plugins etc so it should be left alone.

The .mayaSwatches shouldn't be deleted but I've never seen the keyboard folder before so I'm not sure on that one.

As for your files, I went ahead and attached them here saved in ascii (.ma) format so you can try and open them and see if the same issue occurs.

Let me know how that goes for you!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

Hey @sean.heasley

Thanks for doing all that! Unfortunately..... The files still won't open! I've attached the 2 new messages that come up now.

So, about the save prompt... That's another issue, because as I understand it, it shouldn't be coming up straight away as soon as I open a scene? Because that's what it's currently doing for some reason... A scene is just supposed to open, isn't it? The save prompt shouldn't be coming up. Also, even when I close the scene it asks me to save or not, even though I haven't made any changes at all to the scene. Is this not supposed to happen as well?

In terms of the 'maya' folder - is there anywhere else I can move it so it's out of My Documents? I don't really like having it there, as it messes up my feng shui 😉

Again, thanks a lot for your help!

Message 6 of 12
mspeer

Hi!

Try Import instead of Open.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: mspeer

Hi @mspeer, thanks for joining in. I tried import & it did open, but still with an error message. But you know what, if you could confirm for me whether the screenshots I've attached to this message are the exact same scenes that you see when you open my files on your end that would be great - because if it's exactly the same then I don't really care much for these models & will just delete them! 🙂

Perhaps you could also help me with my other 3 questions too?:

Should a save prompt be appearing as soon as a scene is opened (because that's what's currently happening with all of my files, even the working ones)?

Should a save prompt be appearing when closing a scene when you haven't even made any changes to it? And:

Can I move the 'maya' folder, that has been put in My Documents, elsewhere?

Many thanks!

Message 8 of 12
mspeer

Hi!

Both scenes open fine here with Maya 2018.

One contains just a subdivided cube with 26 faces and the other one the spaceship of a maya learning course which can be re-modeled in about 1-2 minutes.

The save prompt be appears almost every time, even if you close the default/untitled scene that's created when you start Maya, so it's all OK.

Message 9 of 12
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

Glad @mspeer's suggestion on importing worked for you!

As for the Maya folder, I believe you can move it and shouldn't experience any issues.

The save prompt however shouldn't be appearing on simply opening a scene. It should only appear if you are working in a scene and then go to open a new one or close it etc.

For that issue, you could try deleting your settings/preferences.

Generally I only see the save issue appear this frequently with student licenses of Maya but like @mspeer said, it does appear often when changing scenes, closing/opening files etc.

Let me know if anything changes!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 10 of 12
mspeer

Hi!

@sean.heasley

"The save prompt however shouldn't be appearing on simply opening a scene."

If you open maya first or create a new scene and then instantly open a scene or create a new one Maya asks for saving the current untitled scene (even if it's empty without any changes made)

Message 11 of 12
sean.heasley
in reply to: mspeer

Right my bad, I think I'm just used to clicking through it I forget it appears as often as it does Smiley Tongue

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

Thanks @sean.heasley & @mspeer. I think I'll just delete those 2 Maya files, as now that I can see what they are, like you said, they're just basic shapes so not really important 🙂 But in terms of the save prompt @mspeer, it's not when I open Maya directly & then from there open the scene I want that causes the save prompt to come up, it's when I literally click on the scene file itself - before it opens the scene, it asks me to save/don't save, which doesn't make sense because I've just opened it! But anyway, regardless of that it's all still working so I think I'll just have to ignore it. It might be that whole student license thing because my ex-tutor is the one who gave me the software, so it could be that.

But anyway, thanks so much for helping me sort out my problem! Smiley Very Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report