Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya is not responding

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
22805 Views, 7 Replies

Maya is not responding

I have been using Maya for over a year without this problem until now 

The issue that I have is Maya crashing; not 'fatal error', but if I open the task manager, I can see that Maya is 'not responding'.  I wait for a while; it will not recover.

I have a simple scene with one character rig and a model of a piano, with a soundtrack which I want to animate to.

At first I thought that my sound track was too cumbersome, so that is why I re-saved it to a lesser quality, just to work with. - After a few clicks, it still freezes.  These are the rest of the things that I have tried so-far that have not uncovered the problem:

- tried a different piano from a different source.

-reset my preferences.

-created a piano proxy; just a couple of boxes for the character to sit at.

-tried testing my scene without installing the sound file.

-pulled out some hair and was abusive to my mouse.

-went on the internet to look to see if others had same issue, and started going down 'rabbit holes', as sometimes called.

Now it is 11pm and I have been at it since 8 in the morning, I know exactly what I want to animate, and I have so far gotten as far as my first pose. . .after about 15 hours.  I have strayed off miles into the wrong direction looking for answers - and I just want to animate a simple scene with a cool soundtrack.

if you got this far in this letter without rolling your eyes and deleting, thanks for listening to me snivel, and would you please help me?  (insert smiley face here) 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mspeer
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi!

Please upload the scene-file and give a step by step instruction until freeze.

There is no other way to help if the problem is scene-dependent.

The problem may also be system dependent, did you change anything at your system?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: mspeer

here is the uploaded file - basically, I start working on a pose and after a short amount of mouse clicks the program freezes, that's it really.  I have been using this character rig on other scenes just recently and it has worked  fine until now.  No other system settings have been changed.

Thanks for responding, and hope it is something simple.  I have noticed that other posts in this forum have been describing basically the same issue.

Tony

Message 4 of 8
mspeer

Hi!

The scene works fine here.

Some objects don't have UV's and there is a lot of history in the scene, but it works.

I highly recommend to update Maya and install update 4 for Maya 2017.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Someone suggested that I try to turn off parallel evaluation and gpu override in the prefs.  I did and it seems to have worked.  I also deleted a whole bunch of history.  I will do that update that you suggested.  Thank you!!

Tony

Message 6 of 8
mspeer

Hi!

I use Evaluation Mode set to "DG" as default and i recommend this to everyone as the other mode "Parallel" works not correct with a lot of features in Maya. If it works now then the problem is solved.

Please mark every answer that solves your problem as solution (even if it's your own), so others interested in this thread will get a better overview.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

thanks again!!

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

I know it's a bit late to post this. But I was having the same issue where Maya 2018 was not responding after the launch. I updated maya and gpu, but it didn't solve the issue. 2-3 days ago, I changed my shader engine for viewport to directX11 and since then I started having the issue. When I changed it back to the default shader OpenGl core( compatibility) , maya starts to launch properly. I didn't install any shader which works with directX11, that might be causing me issues.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report