Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

maya 2019

81 REPLIES 81
SOLVED
Message 1 of 82
elrevit
42726 Views, 81 Replies

maya 2019

Hi,
 Any idea when Maya 2019 release ?
thanks alot

Tags (1)
81 REPLIES 81
Message 2 of 82
sean.heasley
in reply to: elrevit

Hi @elrevit and welcome to the community!

I can't say specific dates but since we're more than halfway through the year I can say keep an eye out for future updates as our devs are working hard on it and there will be an announcement on the forums as soon as we have a planned release!

Message 3 of 82
elrevit
in reply to: sean.heasley

thanks a lot, nut do u think it will be in august or later ?

Message 4 of 82
sean.heasley
in reply to: elrevit

Hi @elrevit

Again I can't say specific dates as things might change. Apologies!

Message 5 of 82
crkinard

/me grumbles.

Not good news when trying to get labs ready for the new school year in 3 weeks.

Message 6 of 82
Anonymous

Im sure you gonna put a lot of

@sean.heasley wrote:

Hi @elrevit and welcome to the community!

I can't say specific dates but since we're more than halfway through the year I can say keep an eye out for future updates as our devs are working hard on it and there will be an announcement on the forums as soon as we have a planned release!

cool stuff in maya and thats why its not out by now, unlike Max and with some minor creepy stuff release it as soon as possible. if you dont like to invest on Max well just kill it and get it over with, at least dont insult its users. yeah THANKS ALOT autodesk.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 7 of 82
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

2019 is a make or break release for Maya.

They need to have a proper procedural node graph (something that can compete with Houdini, or at the very least matches the functionality of the discontinued Softimage ICE tree.) If they still haven't implemented it in this release I think we'll switch fully to a Houdini pipeline.

I'm hopeful that's why they are so late announcing Maya 2019... as this will be a major shift for the software.

Message 8 of 82
Anonymous

I don't expect the 2019 release to save the situation with Maya. I have given up this game  of "maybe things will get better if I wait". The team and company behind Maya is not going to magically transform.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Tags (1)
Message 9 of 82
JabbaTheNut

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't expect the 2019 release to save the situation with Maya. I have given up this game  of "maybe things will get better if I wait". The team and company behind Maya is not going to magically transform. Not overnight. Not over a year. Not over a decade. One thing is for sure. Even if they put some effort in one version they have proven again and again that the effort is not maintained. One thing gets "slightly less bad", and then it is followed by such new absurd disaster. It has become such a pattern. Only a fool would expect anything better. The odds are a Trillion to 0.000000001.

I respectfully disagree.

I am mostly a hobbyist who has owned licenses to Maya, 3ds Max, and Modo for more than 5 years. I have also used C4D, Houdini and Blender. All of these products are very good and all of these products contain issues.

I would hesitate denigrating the Maya team, however. After all, Maya has been the industry standard for more than a decade and is used by nearly all of the significant studios. It seems to me that achieving that level of success in an extremely competitive market saturated with high maintenance customers would require a great deal of skill and intestinal fortitude. Additionally, studios choose to use Maya for their productions. They are not forced.  This says something about the quality of Maya for use in production.

In the last couple of years, there have been major improvements to Maya.  In particular, the UV and Modeling Toolkits are miles ahead of where they were.  Bifrost is another major implementation. There are other examples, to be sure.  Since the team moved to more frequent updates throughout each year, significant improvements are more spread out.  Consequently, major version releases do not appear to offer huge changes by themselves.  I would argue that, pound for pound, Maya offers a more complete production package than any other single software.  It is not perfect, but it is extremely good.  I challenge you to find a software that is perfect.

I am not a fan boy of any of the above products. But I do harbor a great deal of respect for Autodesk and their product teams. They have been, and still are, the standard by which all other related products benchmark themselves.

Just my 2 cents 🙂

Message 10 of 82
Anonymous
in reply to: JabbaTheNut

Good for you. I am glad for you.

Message 11 of 82
Anonymous
in reply to: JabbaTheNut

Hi, I've worked in the commercials animation and VFX field for around 25 years now. And I can tell you that for the last dozen years or so the industry has been moving towards software that allows users to build tools to solve problems. And though you can do this with Maya, you need to be a programmer, or rather you need a team of programmers. This is not the case with tools like Houdini and ICE... you can build complex tools, share them amongst a team even version up when new features are added without writing a single line of code! (Even C4D is moving that way.)

Clients want effects that "No one has ever seen before" (how many times have I heard that one!) You don't get those effects by using off the shelf tools anymore.

Maya is in the position it is in because it was the first to market with an open architecture, companies wrote pipeline tools and features that took advantage of that fact. In short they invested in Maya, and they are reluctant to re-invest in a new DCC application. I think that attitude is now shifting... Maya needs to step up.

You are right when you say that no software is perfect, I'm not expecting a perfect app. Just one that keeps up with the competition and the demands of my clients.

Message 12 of 82
Anonymous

Sorry, that is total bs... If you are capable to do houdini networks, you can easily do programming. And in the most cases the houdini networks contain a lot of custom code, especially if you want to push it very far. I mean the for loop networks in houdini are not different from a for loop, in say, python. It is the same logic. The only difference is you have "some sort" of visual representation.

Message 13 of 82
Anonymous

Spoken like a true programmer. I have limited experience at building tools in Houdini, but I can tell you that building tools in Ice requires zero coding!
The logic required may be the same but there's no syntax bs. Experimentation is quick and immediate... Want to try and randomise a few values in your graph and see what it does? Just drop a randomizer value node in there.... Want to do that with coding in Maya and you'll find your self having to import libraries.... Adjust lines and lines of code just to try something that may or may not work... Hours of work....
Go right ahead and keep believing that the industry isn't moving this way... You're only going to be dissapointed.
Message 14 of 82
Anonymous

Yes sure, it is easier. But really good ppl in the industry are of course capable in programming. You mention ICE, that was really a fantastic system. I cannot believe autodesk did drop it, i think it is even better than houdini.

Message 15 of 82
abercaine

ice wasn't that fantastic compared to houdini or bifrost under the hood or even maya and soup regarding the data flow.
That's why they are targetting much better with the bifrost framework  

Message 16 of 82
Anonymous
in reply to: abercaine

You cannot use bifrost for modelling, or I am missing something? Bifrost is not integrated into maya.

Message 17 of 82
abercaine

no you can't for the moment, the graph is not open and for the moment it's focused on simulations.  

Message 18 of 82
Anonymous

Sorry dude, but I think what you say is total bs (If you are capable to do houdini networks, you can easily do programming)

To develop a tool you need a firm knowledge about programming, but for doin it using a visual network, just knowing the basics is enough.

Just take a beginner course in houdini and u will understand.

Message 19 of 82
Anonymous

Yeah sure, you can do all the neat effects with a beginner course

Message 20 of 82
Discussion_Admin

Hey everyone,

Please remember these are professional forums and as such deserve a professional decorum when participating.

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report