Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2018 trial can't even save a scene?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1519 Views, 7 Replies

Maya 2018 trial can't even save a scene?

Downloaded Maya 2018 trial and wanted to explore the latest offerings and I can't even save a scene?

Fatal Error. Attempting to save in C:/Users/Steven/AppData/Local/Temp/Steven.20170904.2052.ma

https://imgur.com/a/K9Xoy

Makes it kinda difficult to use.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

After a restart of my machine, Maya took 5 mins to start? Still crashes...

Message 3 of 8
john.paul.giancarlo

Hello, are you on windows, mac, Linux? can you tell us about your workstation specs?

did you try to uninstall maya and do clean install with fresh preferences?

can you please try this and let me know if the problem persists!

Thank you

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: john.paul.giancarlo

I am on Windows, I have a Lenovo Thinkpad W520. Which is a Intel i7, 8 GB ram, and Quadro 1000m graphics card.

I am not sure why I should do a clean install, there was no indication that the install was bad. BUT I will try it tonight after work.

Thanks

Message 5 of 8
john.paul.giancarlo

it is good practice, you can also try by just deleting your preferences in users/maya/preferences

if this does not work try to reinstall maya !

thank you

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

I removed the preferences folder, started Maya and chose new default prefs and it seems to be working now.

Honestly, this isn't a fix... there is something wrong with the software if at any point a save causes a crash that is unrecoverable. To me it's even worse that it isn't corrupt data in the working file or if there was something else wrong, but instead its the preferences? What could possibly be in preferences which would cause such a fatal error?

Message 7 of 8
john.paul.giancarlo

I am with you on this, it is not something you want to happen at all.

Every little setting get stored in the maya preferences so if something goes really wrong can cause Maya to fail , we also don’t like this and we are working to change certain aspects of the software but it takes time! , we need to re write Maya from the core up, This is how it was conceived by Alias 20 years ago.

I know we are working to fix this, I have been in touch with the developers team regarding this matter.

Hopes this helps
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Autodesk has owned Maya for 12 years now, can't blame Alias.

I look forward to a time when people don't suggest deleting preferences in order to get the software to operate.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report