Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing FBX to Unity from Maya has more than one object?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
1256 Views, 2 Replies

Importing FBX to Unity from Maya has more than one object?

I am barely new to Maya platform, while I work as programmer in Unity. I am currently working on implementing FBX from Maya to Unity for VR game. I used Substance Painter to texture the models, and I found out that the models have to be broken down to texture them. It looked good in Unity as I wrapped everything up but the Programmers have informed that they needed the models to be one whole object for VR Interaction to work. I have combined my model but yet, it comes with children under Unity's Gameobject/model. 

Is it Unity VR issue side or Maya side?
How can I combined my Model into One Object, even I combined it, it still have children in Unity's Hierarchy, regardless. How can I resolve this?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
patrick.schock
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous,

thanks for your post! Maybe just the history of the combined object was left in Maya. Can you please try the following steps:

1. Select the objects in Maya that you want to combine.
  2. Combine the objects at Mesh > Combine.
  3. You will see that some empty groups in the scene outliner are left, containing transform nodes.
  4. Select the new created mesh and all these groups.
  5. Go to Edit > Delete by Type > History
  6. All the empty groups should be gone.
  7. Export the object to Unity.

Here is a short video of the procedure: Combine objects in Maya and delete history

Looking forward to your reply, if the steps helped to import the combined object without any hierarchy in Unity.

Best regards,

Patrick

“https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/logos/autodesk-logo-primary-rgb-black-small_forum.png”
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: patrick.schock

Hello, @patrick.schock,

This was a good solution, and I was able to successfully export the FBX with no children in hierarchy, I was unable to find this solution anywhere in my research. However, Thank you so much!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report