Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make x-gen grass collide with other objects and wind?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
2047 Views, 3 Replies

How to make x-gen grass collide with other objects and wind?

I've tried to figure out how for about a little over a year and I don't know how to do it. I know how to do it with paint fx to some degree, but not with  x-gen at all. Now if I make hair I know I can make the hair collide with the mesh the hair's attached to, but not other objects. (Another thing that's related to my question is that I don't know how to make xgen grass react to wind either. Can you make the x-gen grass collide with objects, and also have it moving in some wind?)

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Michael_Todd
in reply to: Anonymous

There is a collision modifier. Make an alembic cache of the object/s you want to collide against and add the collision modifier and point the to cached geo. For wind effetcs from a Maya field, you'll need to use an animwire or control wire modifier. With an animwire modifier, you can create a dynamic nHair system and that can be affected by fields and collisions but as only the guides will collide, you'll still need a collision modifier to have the primitives collide with the geo.

This is covered in the documentation:

XGen Collision Modifier

XGen Anim wire modifier

Cheers

Michael Todd

XGen Product Owner and Designer

Message 3 of 4
sean.heasley
in reply to: Michael_Todd

Hi @Anonymous

To add on to this, here's a video that shows a simply wind modifier with a feather created via Xgen. The same workflow can be applied to grass.

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: sean.heasley

Thank you so much for informing me on this. I've tried getting help about this before from my teacher, but I feel like she focused more on the fundamentals than stuff like this. It's greatly appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report