Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to export and import shader networks ?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
kapetanovicvanja
9104 Views, 11 Replies

How to export and import shader networks ?

Hi guys, I have made an eye in maya and built a whole network using Ramp and Noise Filters to achieve that Iris and eye pattern and color and it looks the way I want it but the problem is it is in a separate project from where my actual character is and I would love to assign that eye to that character. I can easily import obj of that eye or FBX but all of my shading stays in the Eye session. So is there a way to bake all of it onto the actual model or to export the whole file so I can apply it to my model ?

Thank you

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Hi @kapetanovicvanja

We have an article on exporting shader networks you can find here!

To import all networks from another scene.

1. Open the scenes directory in the Projects tab and middle-drag a Maya scene file into the Hypershade work area.

Maya imports all the nodes from that scene into the current scene.

To export a rendering network.

1. In Hypershade, select the node(s) you want to export.
  2. Select File > Export Selected Network.
  3. Select the folder you want to export to, and choose Export. (You can also export all the nodes in the scene by selecting File > Export All from the main menu bar.)

Please let me know if this helps or if you need any more assistance!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 3 of 12
mspeer
in reply to: kapetanovicvanja

Hi!

Hypershade menu: File -> Export Selected Network

Message 4 of 12
sean.heasley
in reply to: mspeer

Hi @kapetanovicvanja

I'm just checking in to see if you need more help with this. Did the suggestions that @mspeer and I provided work for you?

If so, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 5 of 12

hi guys sorry I just saw you replied. No it doesn't really work because by exporting out Maya exports all kinds of files and formats and I have no clue which one is hypershade network file. I dont know why is there even an option since I went to Hypershade and File Export Networks so...I need to see what is in the pic below when I import it but I cant even export it that way. Is there a way to somehow bake it in the object itself or otherwise I will just remake the whole eye in the project where my character is since that I can do for sure and transfering networks seems to be really confusing.

Message 6 of 12
damaggio

I think what you are looking for is bake the texture to a file, do a google on that.... In the end the easiest thing would have have been making the texture in Photoshop in the first place and avoid all this extra work.

Message 7 of 12
damaggio
in reply to: damaggio

Also keep in mind that Maya networks don't export to other programs, like a video game, or another 3D package.

Message 8 of 12
mspeer

Hi!

Sorry, i don't understand the problem.

3 step example:

1. Export Selected Network as "shader.mb"

- Create new Maya scene, create Polygon Cube

2. Import "shader.mb"

3. Assign imported shader to Polygon Cube

Message 9 of 12
sean.heasley

Hi @kapetanovicvanja

I'm a bit confused as well, the steps @mspeer provided above should work as a simple example.

Please let me know if that works for you or if you need any more assistance!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 10 of 12
sean.heasley
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi @kapetanovicvanja

Just wanted to check in to see how things were going. Are you still having this issue?

If your issue is resolved, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 11 of 12
maaXKVR6
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi 🙂

I think I have the same  issue. I want to export the shader only, but using "Export Selected Network" exports what looks like the entire scene.

I only want to use that exact shader in another scene, export it, import it, done.

What am I missing? Is it an option?

Cheers 🙂

Message 12 of 12
SimS7L56

Problem is that 'save selected network' as .mb or .ma, looks like it works, BUT when imported into a scene the material has all the geometry (and rig in my case) attached to it. We just want to save the material (with all it's nodes) to use in other scenes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report