Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Green polygon Faces

39 REPLIES 39
SOLVED
Message 1 of 40
Anonymous
172587 Views, 39 Replies

Green polygon Faces

Hey I was wondering has anyone seen this in Maya 2016. I am modelling a Messerschmitt and I am using the duplicate special so I can mirror my sculpt. Every time I open my file I'm getting these green faces in Random places on my model. I was using the stock lambert shader before this happened then I applied a new lambert to fix the problem and now it is back. What does not make sense is that it is only on the instanced side of my model. I am chalking this up to a bug but if its something else I would love if someone could let me know what it is. Cheers.

39 REPLIES 39
Message 21 of 40
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

*facepalm* whatever man, whatever...

Message 22 of 40
Anonymous

Maya 2017 sp4

1 - Delete history - not working

2 - Apply new material - not working

3 - Delete -set new UV - not working

4 - Combine with other mesh and separate - not working

5 - reload maya - not working

6 - duplicate polygons - not working

What`s going on? 2017 ver and this bug near 10 years not resolve.

Message 23 of 40
Anonymous

ty guys. So a corrupted shader? A new material fixed it, so I am guessing this was the correct diagnosis? Anyways, it fixed my random green object. So tyvm. Sorry for the bump ... but .... well it's fixed now and I am happy.. so ty.

Message 24 of 40
Anonymous

Worked like a charm, nice one!

Message 25 of 40
Anonymous

Thanks for the tip. I had the same issue, just assigned the default lambert material and then re-applied my textured blinn material and all is well with the virtual world.

Message 26 of 40
Anonymous

Doesn't this just mean the UV was off? Maybe a dumb idea, who knows. 

Message 27 of 40
Anonymous

Make sure your surface isn't liveUncheck the magnetUncheck the magnet

Message 28 of 40
mspeer

Hi!

@Anonymous

that's a different issue, you set a live surface:

https://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYAUL/2018/ENU/?guid=GUID-EBF1E652-4DDD-423F-B42E-3BF85AE46A5D

Message 29 of 40
EkDoreo

I know this has been solved. But I have something to add that might help someone in a situation I was just in.

I just had an outwardly identical situation caused by a completely different scenario and easy to solve when you know why it happens. I had some objects referenced in my scene in the past. At some point I removed the reference and imported the object directly. But by chance I had the exact same material (as I was having issue with) in a different reference that I have kept using. So when I imported the objects, it assigned the matching material to the referenced one. I didn't realise this. So while working I turned off (hid) my references in the references manage (not removed; unticked them). I didn't realise I had an issue because I also by change hid the group containing the object that were using that material. But later made that group visible again and they were that vibrant green. I was not able to clear the surface and reapply as I have done in the past and as mentioned in the topic.

After reading this I got a hunch to turn on my references and all the materials loaded. Makes sense but was a gotcha regardless. Would have been nice to not have the material match up with the reference automatically. I guess it useful to do so if you are using a reference set of materials. But it seems a referenced material applied is unlink-able when the reference is not presently loaded. At least I wasn't able to find a way to unlink.

-Thanks for your time.

Message 30 of 40
Anonymous

yea worked for me

Message 31 of 40
Anonymous

using the trial of Maya 2020 and this bug still exists. I am with Maya since v1.0 and it is obvious that Maya still has a problem deep down in the core of creating geometry / keeping geometry clean. 10 years ago it was much harder than today, but still the software is not working stable in this manner and to say it clearly: No one has the motivation to change it. It is like it is with most politicians: You can ignore it or talk nicely about the topic and do nothing -> people will still follow you / buy your stuff.

This time I am a bit more angry than normal, because a simple 5min task now (again) became to a work of some hours and still nothing works, even the re-import as OBJ (is there a single one out there who has ever finished a professional project without using the OBJ-export-import script at least once during the project duration??).

Message 32 of 40
damaggio

It’s hard to pin point why sometimes things don’t work for other users, and sometimes is definitely a bug that has been detected.
I have not yet encountered these issues in the above posts during production... keeping my fingers crossed.

Happy holidays guys .

Message 33 of 40
marcosdiaz13

In maya 2019 (not sure if you can do this in other versions) you can save the  file (maybe with a different name just in case glitch doesn't disappear) and then open a new file.  Once new file is open, reopen the  saved file with  the green polygons.  Once the  "glitched" file is open green polygons should have disappeared.  Hope that helps.

Message 34 of 40
Anonymous

mans really solved his own problem, and mine 😉 you're the goat

Message 35 of 40
Anonymous

1. Excellentttttttttttttttttttttttttt:) It works and I;m using Maya 2020.3. Good Job man.
Message 36 of 40
AzWoodWarrior
in reply to: JabbaTheNut

Ad bashing: unfortunately, there are times when kicking the beehive is the only way to get action. Do you know Revit? Have you ever used its stairs tool? Have you ever cut stringers out of a wet 20' 2X12? If the answer is yes to any, do a search for revit stairs. See how far they date back. Still not fixed. I would think, if you were offered a job at one of the world's largest software companies you should have thicker skin to criticism. Just sayin. Autodesk is great! Huge fan. Perfect? No. Does it warrent suggesting they have "special needs" level intelligence? No, but, he is more entitled to voice his opinion, than people are from being offended by that opinion. Remember sticks and stones?

I to was having the green face problem. Solved it with a aistandard surface. 

Message 37 of 40
rezashams3d

Capture.PNG

Hello to all
To solve this problem, you can use the Advanced Skelton script

Message 38 of 40
belle.christhia

this worked for me too. thank you so much~
Message 39 of 40
glitch2875

The solution is very simple. Select the object, press shift+right mouse button and assign a new lambert to ur model. Thats it its fixed 

Tags (1)
Message 40 of 40
rebekah_overbay

Seems to be a shader issue. I had it happened when bridging edges on a model. The new faces were all green, but after selecting the object (Object Mode) and assigning a material it went back to normal. I just assigned the standard lambert material and it was fixed

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report