Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct Connect in 2017?

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
emilp
10511 Views, 20 Replies

Direct Connect in 2017?

The Maya 2017 Help says IGES export is possible using DC_EXPORT (Direct Connect).

In previous version this was activated by the directconnect.mll plugin. In my 2017 install there isn't one! Looked in the unpacked downloaded install folder but no sign!! What am I missing?

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
fredrik
in reply to: emilp

I'm also missing this. What happened to it? Are we supposed to install this from a standalone installer?

Message 3 of 21
emilp
in reply to: fredrik

Please let me know if you find one!! I looked everywhere.

Autodesk! Why is it in the help docs but not in the application??

Message 4 of 21
Stephen.Blair

http://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYAUL/2017/ENU/?guid=GUID-955290A5-C27E-47AC-B930-A0430182EAA0

ATF support

This release of Maya supports Autodesk Translation Framework (ATF), which replaces DirectConnect for file import and export.

See Import files with Autodesk Translation Framework (ATF) and the section on Autodesk Translation Format (ATF) options in the Import Optionstopic for information on importing ATF files.

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 5 of 21
emilp
in reply to: Stephen.Blair

Thanks, but this does not export IGES only imports. How do we export now? I need nurbs so fbx is not an option.
By the way here is the list that I was looking at:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYAUL/2017/ENU/?guid=GUID-864BD203-C437-4481-8BFC-3A6C1D2C824C

Message 6 of 21
RaymondSVZJGF

Having the same issue except with DWG file export.. Website says is support but its missing. 

Message 7 of 21
gasnikel

Igs is only available for import, indeed..such a mess... And what happened with dwg and dxf import/export? have they been removed? unveleveble . I m running maya for mac

Message 8 of 21
davidsperkinsVER

Thanks Autodesk,

you have just broken my workflow.

I cannot import DWGs into Maya anymore.

I do this everyday, and need a workaround. I've tried exporting FBX from autocad to maya but it breaks my blocks into thousands of objects.....

Message 9 of 21
csbadatya
in reply to: Stephen.Blair

Hi Stephen,

This is strange that the import options in maya 2017 shows up the ATF plugins, where as the export doesn't show the same. Is it a bug or there is an update we need to install to solve this issue. Maya 2013 helped me to export out .igs file for my last project, after a long struggle with 2017 and other trial and error.

So could you please throw light on this issue.

Thanks,

Chandra Sekhar

Message 10 of 21
jyoung
in reply to: csbadatya

DWG and DXF import is needed. Why was it removed? It's all autodesk not like its licensing.

Message 11 of 21
kurgan
in reply to: jyoung

stl export... we do 3d printing, ....

Message 12 of 21
quirin.friedl
in reply to: kurgan

No reply from Autodesk?! Would be very very good to know if and when it's planned to get our precious nurbs exports back...

Message 13 of 21
L.Buckley
in reply to: quirin.friedl

Hello,

Has anyone heard about any updates on this by chance?

-Leif

Message 14 of 21

Hi, we NEED to import DWG drawings inside Maya.

Everyone that works in the design/architecture field need it!

So what is going on? You must fix it... yesterday!

Message 15 of 21

I have found a brief work around but does can sometimes import funky..

If you export your drawing to an IGS file Maya can import that as curves.. in my brief experiments using this method I find some curves come in rough, but may help you.

Regardless of the IGS workaround DWG Import is a much needed feature and am not sure why it was removed.

Message 16 of 21
schiaroli.dennis

I know it is very primitive as a technique but for now you could save your file as a .mb and then open it with maya 2016 and export as an iges from there. It worked for me. Nevertheless I hope we will hear from Autodesk  soon.

Best,

D

Message 17 of 21
benm3d
in reply to: schiaroli.dennis

as dennis says,

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya-forum/can-t-load-direct-connect-in-maya-extension-2-sp2/td-p/657...

basically: DC not compatible with licencing system used since Maya 2016 SP2, workaround is to run the older software, as ATF is not as good as DC

Message 18 of 21
fredrik
in reply to: benm3d

Haven't had time to try this yet, but here's Direct Connect for Maya 2017:

https://apps.autodesk.com/MAYA/en/Detail/Index?id=2891749639718941708

Message 19 of 21
jeremy.kaiser

Does anyone know when ATF will support importing Solidworks native files again? The igs method is not an acceptable workaround.

Message 20 of 21
jeremy.kaiser
in reply to: fredrik

That's awesome but it only works if you already have direct connect.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report