Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Referncing before animating

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
brunoreinaudi123
462 Views, 9 Replies

Referncing before animating

Hi, I´ve been having an issue where one of the files i reference alters the rig and the mesh of my character. I want to make this character move through the city, which is the mesh the mesh that causes such problems. 

I´ve frozen ttransformations, deleted history; but nothing changes. The mesh has some buildings, differents shaders and textures from Arnold, then some lights and a skydome, and some low poly copies of cars and people to use in the background. 

I don´t know how something simple, can mess the rig so bad.  If you have any ideas or solutions, i would appreciate them a lot.

Thanks for your attention!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
mcw0
in reply to: brunoreinaudi123

Try referencing all of your assets into a new scene.  This will keep things in their respective namespaces and hopefully cure your problems.

Message 3 of 10
brunoreinaudi123
in reply to: mcw0

Hi! Thanks for replying! I´ve already done that, and the issue remains. Does the Xgen hairs need to be intervened in some way?

Message 4 of 10
mcw0

Sorry I can't look at your file.  But your initial post was about a rigged mesh.  Now you're talking about Xgen.  Confused about what the actual issue is.

Message 5 of 10
brunoreinaudi123

Sorry, I forgot to say the chracter i referenced has xgen hair in it, and even though the mesh moves ok when referencing, the hair does not follow it unlike when it is in its original file.

Sorry for the confusion! I hope now its all clarified!

Message 6 of 10
mcw0

Sorry I'm not familiar with Xgen.  Are there any expressions that might have hardcoded names?

Message 7 of 10
brunoreinaudi123

Sorry! What do you mean by "expressions"? I´m begining to undesrtand maya, and i dont know what that is.

I only knew to make hair with xgen. Do you do Hair in another way?
Message 8 of 10
mcw0

Expressions is a method for controlling attribute values.

EE.PNG

As for hair, it's been a very long time since I've had to deal with hair.  I've only used Maya's hair system.

Message 9 of 10

Sounds like you are very new to Maya. I will suggest you should look in to old school simple polygon hair using texture maps. Xgen is a different beast. If you do not know anything at all about expressions, then it is very frustrating. Most of the triple game characters have simple polygon with hair textures and they look awesome

Message 10 of 10

Great! Thanks for the advice! I´m sure i will understand a bit more now!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report