Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya Bake Deformer Tool - Failed to calculate the weights

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
2438 Views, 5 Replies

Maya Bake Deformer Tool - Failed to calculate the weights

I have a character rigged which is going to be used in unreal engine. For smoothing I have applied delta mush on it but when I try to bake it into skin weights for fbx export using bake deformer tool this error shows up - "Error: line 0: Failed to calculate the weights: points (13,14,15,17,18,19...... and so on)". What could be causing this issue?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ShreddinPB
in reply to: Anonymous

I am running into this also and have tried many things to "fix" it, nothing is helping. So I am bumping this

Message 3 of 6
jeraldjuarez

I am running into the same issue my whole mesh wont calculate basically. I listed all the total vertices in my mesh. So I guess it is something wrong with my mesh. I am not sure because in this video he does it so easily. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i-gxtXj1Ww&t=272s

In the video his rig is only joints and mesh. I am trying to do this with a quadruped rig that has a skin cluster node, relative cluster nodes, blend-shapes, and a pose editor node. Is it because it has all these nodes????

I also tried going to select all the vertices that weren't calculating which mines was vertex 1-14182. So only one vertex, vertex 14183 worked with Bake Deformer tool. I selected that exact vertex and inverse and it selected the crap ton of other vertices that weren't calculating. So instead I went Edit Mesh- Average Vertices and I kinda got a smooth result. I don't know if this is an appropriate solution.

Message 4 of 6
deleon8t4
in reply to: jeraldjuarez

The error might have something to do with your bind pose.  I ran into the same error and, in short, to fix, I removed the skin cluster using "Skin>Unbind Skin", then deleted the Delta Mush operation.

I then re-skinned the model and reapplied the Delta Mush, and re-ran the Bake Deformer Tool.

It worked perfectly.

Hope this helps!

Message 5 of 6
mcw0

The bake deformer tool has never worked for me.  Dem Bones is much better in my opinion.

Message 6 of 6
gotal.darko

ok so three years later....

the bake deformer tool usually loves simple hierarchy, if you have wings or something like that, unparent the joints, bake the deformer, then re-parent the joints

it always happens to me when I'm working with complicated models, hope it helps (three years later 😂)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report