Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regasm.exe missing

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
karthur1
594 Views, 12 Replies

Regasm.exe missing

I have an older add-in that I am trying to install.  When I run the install file, it comes back with "Can't install the file: regasm.exe does not existing!".

karthur1_0-1712343557137.png

Can someone tell me where I can get this file?

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

For what version of Inventor?

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 3 of 13

Inventor 2022

Message 4 of 13
Frederick_Law
in reply to: karthur1

RegAsm-01.jpg

It's also in v4.0.30319 folder and inside Framework64.

Might need to install .Net 2 or 4.

Message 5 of 13
karthur1
in reply to: Frederick_Law

I will try copy/pasting the file from another workstation. 

I tried installing .NET 4.0 and it would not do it because a newer version of DOTNET was already installed.

Message 6 of 13
Frederick_Law

It also depends on which version .Net the addin was written for.

I only found regasm in v2 and v4.

I do have Visual Studio 2022 community.

Message 7 of 13
karthur1
in reply to: Frederick_Law

Copy/Pasted the regasm.exe and the regasm.config file.  That got it installed and then it told me this.

karthur1_0-1712347335180.png

Downloaded and installed, but still can't get the app to work.  I have it working on other workstations with the same inventor, but this one is giving me a fit.

Thanks

Message 8 of 13
JelteDeJong

Maybe there is also another way to install the addin. If I remember correctly the Regasm.exe is used to register the addin. That is not needed anymore from Inventor 2010 and beyond. (Retire Registry-based Add-ins in Inventor 2022.If you have a "Registry-based Add-in" then please have a look at this post. It explains how you can convert it.

Installing registry-free add-ins is as simple as copying some files to the correct location. I hope you have a computer with the addin installed. You can find the location of the files you need in Inventor.

JelteDeJong_0-1712432334343.png

You just need to copy the files/directory you find to one of these locations:

• Your addin is for all Users, Version Independent
    • %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Autodesk\Inventor Addins\
  • Your addin is for all Users, Version Dependent
    • %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Autodesk\Inventor 20xx\Addins\
  • Your addin is user-specific, Version Dependent
    • %APPDATA%\Autodesk\Inventor 20xx\Addins\
  • Your addin is user-specific, Version Independent
    • %APPDATA%\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins

Just a side note: It sounds like this addon is not getting any updates. That will be a problem when you switch to Inventor 2025 (or later). The way addins are created in Inventor 2025 is fundamentally changed. That means that your addin will probably not load any more in Inventor 2025. You might want to start looking into ways to update the addin.

Jelte de Jong
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Blog: hjalte.nl - github.com

Message 9 of 13

As @JelteDeJong already mentioned, I hope that all (Autodesk Inventor Add-in) users are aware of the fact that many/ possibly all of the (free) Inventor Add-ins found in the Add-in Store from Autodesk will need to be changed and updated to .Net8, because these will not load anymore in the 2025 software of Inventor and beyond.

Most free provided Add-ins are not updated, I am sure of.

Good luck for those who are using add-ins that will not be updated, withing their business.

I see here a big big issue for many companies, in special those who have outsourced and have nobody in the house with any knowledge about programming to help them out very quickly and ad hock, or those who have downloaded add-ins without any support.

Not that is really that much of an effort to upgrade them, you still need to know how and what to do.

It is a lot of work as from my side seen there are a lot of updates for my bunch of add-ins over the years.

Normally an update did not cost that much of time, but for the Inventor 2025 it is time-consuming.

Please feel free to contact us or @bradeneuropeArthur to guide you with the process.

Regards,

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 10 of 13
hw.sheldon

Message 11 of 13
karthur1
in reply to: JelteDeJong

I do have it working on a few computers.  Will copy those files and see how it goes.

Thanks

Message 12 of 13
karthur1
in reply to: JelteDeJong

@JelteDeJong wrote:

Maybe there is also another way to install the addin. If I remember correctly the Regasm.exe is used to register the addin. That is not needed anymore from Inventor 2010 and beyond. (Retire Registry-based Add-ins in Inventor 2022.If you have a "Registry-based Add-in" then please have a look at this post. It explains how you can convert it.

• Your addin is user-specific, Version Independent
    • %APPDATA%\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins

Just a side note: It sounds like this addon is not getting any updates. That will be a problem when you switch to Inventor 2025 (or later). The way addins are created in Inventor 2025 is fundamentally changed. That means that your addin will probably not load any more in Inventor 2025. You might want to start looking into ways to update the addin.

I was able to solve this by copying the files from a computer where it was working to the %appdata%\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins folder on the second computer.

Thanks

Message 13 of 13

Arthur,

I now have a solution moving forward.  Rather than relying on the add-in, I patched together some iLogic code to do the task. I am using 2022 and was even able to get this to run on a short-cut key (that's pretty slick actually).

In Inventor 2023 and above, I can assign a shortcut key to the iLogic code so that makes it even easier.

Attached code if anyone is interested.

Kirk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report