Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with crashing when opening a drawing and parent assembly.

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
D0UGLAS
1054 Views, 16 Replies

Problem with crashing when opening a drawing and parent assembly.

Hello there,

This is an ongoing problem I have had for a while, every time it occurs I dutifully send off my error report.

As I get this problem a few times every day Autodesk must have a few now?

question 1) Have you received my reports?

I can lose anywhere between 0 mins and several hours work when this occurs, which I have to redo so I really do not have the time to investigate the problem.

I can say that it happens if I open a model from within a drawing and perform basic edits,eg lets say I notice a hole is missing. To prevent the error I would have to have only the drawing open, close and save it, open the model, insert the hole then rebuild, save and close that, then reopen the drawing.

question 2) Is this how it should be done?

The most annoying failure of all is when I save the drawing and it crashes this too happens at random and seems to be related to opening drawings and models not following the sequence above.

Anyway you should have many error reports generated by me I can send you a model and drawing to try this for yourselves.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

What version of Inventor are you using?

Are you using Vault?

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 3 of 17

Thanks… Not using vault

Primary Autodesk Products.
Administrator Configurator 360
Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2019

Message 4 of 17

are you using built in code like ilogic or Vba, or other add-ins?

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 5 of 17

Yes lots of ilogic! I believe my dodgy code writing skills could be a problem.

I also think that views and level of detail representations have something to do with it..

Message 6 of 17

Hi,

I think it has to do with the built in code of I-logic.

The LOD and View Reps should not be the problem when they are used in a "normal" manner.

I am not a friend of build in code with either VBA or I-logic at all due to these rare kind of issues, you wrote.

I-logic was never build shipped with inventor for these complex programs, some users here in the forum are using.

Resume :

I would like to advise you to start thinking about programming add-ins, to eliminate these issues.

It will have more flexibility and is much easier to edit and modify than all those build in codes.

Don't think that it isn't easy. it is different but I think learning Vb.net ie for complex programming is easier to learn than I-logic. I use I-logic and VBA only for testing reasons, but I only use add-ins to implement, with no or less problems than with the build in code.

How do you proceed now?

Regards,

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Message 7 of 17

@D0UGLAS,

Can you please provide non confidential drawing and assembly to investigate crash?

Thanks and regards,

CHANDRA SHEKAR G
Developer Advocate
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 8 of 17
D0UGLAS
in reply to: D0UGLAS

I now run 2020 with the same problem.

I will provide models and drawings, but the first thing I need to know is, have Autodesk received the error reports?

I must have sent more than 100 concerning this?

Please confirm.

Message 9 of 17
liang_chen

@D0UGLAS 

May I know what's the email address you input when send the CER reports ? The CER report can be categorized by user email address. 

Searching for the CER reports by your current profile email address, and only one CER report exists in our database.

Thanks

Fred

Fred Chen
SQA Engineer
Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 17
D0UGLAS
in reply to: liang_chen

Thanks Fred,

Yes that is the correct email.

I have sent at least 3 reports today relating to another issue.

I always send a report if prompted, I do not usually add a comment unless I am really annoyed.

It is interesting to note the report you reference is for Fusion? and not inventor?

Message 11 of 17
liang_chen

Hi Douglas,

Do you receive a pops up IE page with CER report ID after sending CER report? If so, you can provide the ID. And we can also search the CER report by the ID. 

If user has sent out the CER report succesfully, we will send out an auto-reply email from "Inventor CER Support <inventor.cer.support@autodesk.com>" to discuss the issue with customer, which is to help us to reproduce the issue and fix it. Do you receive this kind of mail?

Thanks

Fred

Fred Chen
SQA Engineer
Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 17
D0UGLAS

Hi Fred

I get two types of IE popup

One with a thankyou message (Capture1.PNG) to follow

and another with a the link cannot be found (Capture2.PNG)- I'd guess this one is an error message.

I've never had a follow up email.

Message 13 of 17
D0UGLAS

Here is message type 1

Message 14 of 17
pdxmcad

When you crash, after you submit the crash report you should have a dumpdata.zip file located in your %TEMP% folder with a timestamp close to the time of the crash.  Please email the dumpdata.zip to me at mike.dickason@autodesk.com and I'll take a look to see if there is anything obvious.  Please don't post the dumpdata.zip here as it contains confidential info (email, serial #, etc) that you don't want to post in public.

Mike.D
Developer, Autodesk Inventor
Message 15 of 17
D0UGLAS

Hi Fred..

There is a really hard to spot typo in this email address..

Spotted by Mike Dikason...

Thanks Mike..

Message 16 of 17
pdxmcad

Working with Douglas we were able to narrow down the cause of the crashes he was experiencing using Inventor 2020 to the HSM addin.   Since he isn't using that functionality currently, he disabled the loading of that addin and is now able to work without hitting the crash he reported here.

Mike.D
Developer, Autodesk Inventor
Message 17 of 17
D0UGLAS
in reply to: pdxmcad

We have also to thank Jens Krause from Autodesk who provided a solution for when the HSM addin is activated

"As discussed I am sending you the Microsoft documentation about GDI Objects.

This registry key is set to 10.000 by default. Increasing this number (e.g. to 20.000) is known to make Inventor more stable with CAM Addins.

Please make sure to back up your registry before you edit it.

Jens Krause
Autodesk Inc."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report